- Mafia at its basic has two factions: The Mafia and the Innocents.
- The Mafia are what are called the “informed minority” as they have Behind The Scenes Contact (BTSC) - a special forum provided by the host where they can share information and talk
- The Innocents are the “uninformed majority” - they do not have contact outside the game, but are greater in numbers.
- Game phases are split into cycles of Night and Day:
- During the NIGHT, the mafia perform their kill, and goodies with night actions can act.
- During the DAY, everyone votes on someone to lynch and anyone with a day action can perform it.
- The game ends when either all the mafia are wiped out, or the mafia have the majority.
- Newer games include one or more Independent Factions with their own win condition (WinCon)
- For a more information, please read the Newbies' Guide to Mafia.
Besides following the general rules of the game, there are a few important things players should avoid
General Behavior Towards Your Fellow Members
- PM repping ("private message replicating") - A Mafia offense where someone reproduces (on the public game thread) a PM that was Mafia-related. Either the offender reproduces the host's PM giving the person their role, or quotes from someone he has BTSC with, etc. DO NOT REPRODUCE ANY MAFIA-RELATED PRIVATE MESSAGE IN THE THREAD! Bottom line: Feel free to reproduce information in your posts, but without quoting the source verbatim or embedding the whole PM/message in the public thread!
- Illegal BTSC - A Mafia offense where two players exchange information using an external channel. Note that BTSC is almost always NEVER ALLOWED! Do NOT EVER btsc with ANYONE unless EXPLICITLY told BY THE HOST that you are allowed to. Nobody cheats in Mafia. People find out, and you are basically exiled. If you PM somebody about the game, usually they will lightly warn you that BTSC is not allowed, or possibly tell the host immediately. Either way, BTSC serves no actual purpose because nobody trusts anybody and it's likely to make you more suspicious and possibly get you killed within the next phase. Bottom line: Don't BTSC unless it was explicitly allowed for you and only in host-provided environments!
- Ghost Posts - A Mafia offence where a person posts something meaningful in the game thread or any BTSC after being killed/lynched. DON'T POST AFTER YOU ARE DEAD! The best you can do is not get in the way of the game and cheer on your team. You can enquire if your host has prepared an afterlife = Ghost BTSC where you can freely comment on the game with your fellow ghosts. Bottom line: If you do want to speak, post in gray, ONLY ONCE, and make sure you have absolutely no on-topic material that supplies any sort of information or discusses strategy!
- Metagaming - A Mafia offense where a player lets something he knows from outside the game to change his play. E.g. let’s say you were talking with your friend Steve, and he said he was going on a trip and wouldn’t have internet access, and in the night, the mafia doesn’t kill anyone, and you make the assumption that Steve is the mafia because he wasn’t there. This isn’t appreciated by anyone. It’s not a good idea to take out of game circumstances into mafia. Some forms of metagaming may be unavoidable - such as seeing a person on the forum that does not post and vote for them to increase the pressure to obtain information (activity metagaming) or targeting a player based on previous experience (player rep metagaming). But one form of metagaming is to be avoided at all costs: Active (stalking) metagaming = lurking in the thread (or as a guest/anonymous) and watching who comes on and who reads the thread and who uses the personal messenger and using that stalking info in your game.Bottom line: Try your best to use only in-game information!
- Account sharing - Different real persons using the same account has been declared illegal for our site as we feel that the game this site is dedicated to needs the underlying paradigm that different people should be able to access only the things they are allowed to access (e.g. BTSCs when playing) and also that each should guard and protect his own account.Bottom line: Don't share your account details with anyone. Reset your password if you think your account has been used by another person.
- Respect other player's desire to fight on - Please do not request another player call no contest or concede defeat. It can really deflate a game. No matter how hopeless a situation may look, allow them the chance to find a brilliant move out of it or to choose to concede without any prompting from others. Doing this will result in a warning for the first offense, followed by a ban for as long as the mod team decides, if the warning is ignored. Bottom line: Let the game play out as intended and don't tell people to pack it in even if you are sure you are right.
Just because we don’t banhammer every other member doesn’t mean you have the right do act as you please on the site. We’re all mature people, and everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Really I shouldn’t have to put too much into this paragraph. The basics are:
Behavior Towards Hosts, Moderators and the Admin
- No (excessive) swearing. We do have younger members. We will be lenient on the occasional c*** or d***, but please refrain :) If we find you swearing too much, we’ll give you a warning. After two warnings, you may be banned for as long as the mod team sees fit.
- No posting wars. These are annoying for us to clean up, and just spam topics that other members may be interested in. And making your own topic for a post war isn’t allowed either, sorry. Posting wars will result in a warning, and after that, a ban, time length determined by the mod team.
- No initial advertising. While MafiaManiac appreciates your commitment to promote whatever it is you're promoting, we appreciate those who participate in our community. Therefore we ask that any advertising you do is done after you play a game with us and after consulting with the admin or moderators. Not doing so may result in a warning or a ban.
- No harassing other members. This could either be if the mod team sees you harassing another member on a forum, or if a member complains about you harassing them. This will result in a warning, followed by a ban for as long as the mod team decides, if the warning is ignored.
- PLEASE DO NOT POST IN ALL CAPS or with trribl spelin + gramr (That was painful to type). If it annoys enough people, you will get warned. This is not a set rule, but can be to our discretion.
- Keep posts on topic. A mod or admin will come in and warn about keeping on topic in the forum. If it continues, the topic may be closed, and those involved may be given a private warning, followed by a ban if necessary.
This doesn’t really differ from the above, however there is an addition:
- Don’t talk back. If a host says you’re dead, or kicked from a game or rules your action blocked or whatever it is you don’t like, talking back will get you kicked from the game (if you weren’t already), followed by a warning. If you argue with a mod or admin ruling, this will result in a warning followed by a ban of undetermined length. We say the things we say for good reason, so please trust us and don’t make a scene in front of everyone else.
The list of rules isn’t long, but please follow them to your best ability. We want to keep MafiaManiac as a respectable Mafia forum, and we want the best for all of our members. We rarely have instances where we have to warn or ban members, and we’d like to keep it that way :)
--- The Moderating Team