Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

GMaster479
Current Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

BROWSER WARS, Defend your means of web surfing

What is the browser you use most often?
Internet Explorer 8 [ 1 ]  [2.78%]
Internet Explorer 7 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Internet Explorer <6 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Firefox 3.x [ 16 ]  [44.44%]
Google Chrome [ 18 ]  [50.00%]
Safari [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Opera [ 1 ]  [2.78%]
Other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
I'm still a G
Group Icon
Awards: 6

B: 7-7
G: 22-18
I: 0-3
O: 5-10
TB: N/A
TG: N/A
  Posted Oct 25 2010, 09:31 PM
Okay, let me preface this with "You can view the type of computer and browser choice of any user by checking the Online List below

I use Firefox because of the Ad Blocker and web design tools. I have used IE, Safari, Chrome and Firefox but overall decided on Firefox. I liked Google Chrome and Safari especially some of the neat little features on Safari but I have stuck with Firefox since I got my Mac smile.gif

Thoughts?

Not Maurice
Awards: 10

B: 6-6
G: 14-8
I: 2-5
O: 7-0
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 25 2010, 09:49 PM
I use Opera. I haven't used a lot of Chrome.

I found the functionality of Firefox (especially about:config) carries over into Opera. Anything you can view in Netscape or IE can be viewed in Opera without any problems.

I'm going to be using Chrome much more soon. I don't use toolbars or anything like that. IE 6 is out of the question because of its lack of tabbed browsing. The only time I use IE is at work (mostly because I have to). But it works well with Office 2010 and SharePoint.

So far, Opera hasn't let me down. If Chrome seems to be along the same line (I can't imagine Google releasing a browser without add-ons, though), I'll probably switch for good. I hate Mac, but I used Safari for awhile just to avoid the prompts to install someone's stupid toolbar.

I should append my PGP public key here...
Consigliere
Awards: 3

7:8
B: 2:3
G: 3:3
I: 1:1
O: 1:1
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 25 2010, 10:06 PM
I'm infinitely pleased with Firefox. I've only ever used the main three: IE, Safari, and Firefox. Years ago, when I was a Windows user, when I was old enough to be past the one-window internet usage, I realized how much I disliked the multiple window IE. This invited the switch to Firefox, which I've practically grown up on. I'm fond of the tabs, spell check, and multi-lingual dictionaries. My StumbleUpon toolbar is awesome, and my bookmarks are easily maneuverable. When I switched to Mac, I used the Safari pre-set for a while, but wasn't as happy with it as I was with Firefox. I can't remember the specific reasons, considering I used it two weeks tops some two years ago, but it prompted a switch, so.. *shrug*

My browsing needs a completely fulfilled by Firefox, so don't feel a switch to a new browser will be worth the effort of learning it for a negligible increase in happiness or user-friendliness. Maybe someday. Not today.
Contabile
Awards: 1

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 25 2010, 10:43 PM
I'm actually split up between Firefox and Chrome. IE is definitely out of the equation for me, it's been like 5+ years since I've been surfing the web with Firefox and I still use it as my main browser at work.
I checked Chrome because that's what I use @ home. I like it because it doesn't take that much to load, like my firefox at work, but I do miss all my extensions from Firefox, like extensions to download youtube videos and any kind of media, proxy's, and the fact that I don't have to install a download manager because I also have an extension for that.
So as you can see, I'm not inclined to use the default IE, although I am a windows user because that's what I work with most of the time...
Never tried Safari or opera so I can't say anything about them.

Has anyone tried IE9 yet? It's supposed to be faster than the flying potato from google laugh.gif

The light of knowledge guides us through the dark forest of life - JarZe
EDM
The Smiley Queen!!! :D :D :D
Group Icon
Awards: 7

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 26 2010, 05:29 AM
I've tried Firefox and Chrome, but I prefer.....guess? IE!!
Yep, I'm using IE 8 right now.....I've tried all the previous versions of it, but I prefer this one. Maybe I'll switch to IE 9 and let u know how it works..... biggrin.gif

I tried Firefox and Chrome, but I just couldn't stand them for some reason (and I've used firefox for some years....). Chrome was not as great as I expected; sorta disappointed me, in a way... sad.gif

I haven't tried Opera and Safari, but I'll make it a point to try them out before I judge them. For all you know, I may end up having a new fave.....biggrin.gif

I AM ALWAYS what everyone thinks they sometimes are.....CRAZY!!! user posted image user posted imageuser posted image

Smilies brightly cheer
Emotional persona
Li, the Smiley Queen

Cassandra

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 26 2010, 10:32 AM
I've been using Firefox for years. IE just doesn't cut it and fortunately, I can install whatever I "need" on my workstation, so that's what I use at work. My boss has started using Chrome so I decided to check it out, especially since I've been doing some web applications and I wanted to make sure that they worked as expected in all three browsers (Firefox, Chrome and...IE ph34r.gif ).

I like Chrome well enough and I use it for some things (I thought that it would be appropriate to run GMail smile.gif ), but I prefer Firefox for my main browsing needs. I like how Firefox caches where you were on a previous page so if you go back a page, it jumps down to the spot where you left it. I've sat there staring at Chrome for a few seconds waiting for it to do that when I remember, "Oh, that's Firefox. http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3953/duhi.gif "

IE is just bad. It doesn't help that we had IE 6 in my office forever. Then they finally allowed tabbing briefly, before upgrading to IE 7 with tabbing disabled. http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/images/smilies/001_rolleyes.gif laugh.gif I don't touch it other than to make sure the applications look right in it, or occasionally when there's some work-related thing that's designed to work only in IE. dry.gif

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
EDM
The Smiley Queen!!! :D :D :D
Group Icon
Awards: 7

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 26 2010, 10:36 AM
QUOTE (sparrowhawk @ Oct 26 2010, 06:32 PM)
I prefer Firefox for my main browsing needs.  I like how Firefox caches where you were on a previous page so if you go back a page, it jumps down to the spot where you left it.  I've sat there staring at Chrome for a few seconds waiting for it to do that when I remember, "Oh, that's Firefox. http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3953/duhi.gif "

IE 8 goes to the spot, too. It seems a lot easier to handle (for me, anyway...biggrin.gif)

I AM ALWAYS what everyone thinks they sometimes are.....CRAZY!!! user posted image user posted imageuser posted image

Smilies brightly cheer
Emotional persona
Li, the Smiley Queen

Tink
Awards: None
2-9
B: 0-2
G: 2-5
I: 0-2
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 26 2010, 07:44 PM
Go chrome!!!!

Shhhhh
Not Maurice

B: 6-6
G: 14-8
I: 2-5
O: 7-0
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 1 2010, 07:48 PM
My cat likes sitting on the computer because it's warm. When she does so, she presses random buttons. Opera's usually open, so I have to fix whatever she changes..so I've gotten pretty used to its hotkeys and functions.

I should append my PGP public key here...
Back! For now...
Awards: None
4-8
B: 1-4
G: 2-3
I: 1-0
O: 0-1
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 1 2010, 09:56 PM
I LOVE Chrome because the Bookmark and Search bars don't take up as much space as other browsers. biggrin.gif
But for some reason I can't post in the Shoutbox while using Chrome. sad.gif

╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

When in doubt, flip tables.
Consigliere
Group Icon
Awards: 3

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 3 2010, 01:51 PM
I use IE at work, but Firefox and Chrome at home. I also have Opera, but haven't used it much.

Insert something witty here [______________].
Cassandra

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 12 2010, 06:10 PM
Just a random thing I noticed when I was fiddling with the Windows Task List: Chrome forks off another process for every tab you open. Firefox maintains all of its tabs inside one process.

Considering how cheap memory is these days, it's not a big deal, but if you like a lot of tabs, the overhead of creating new processes will make Chrome a huge memory hog. On a related note, a few years ago a friend of mine insisted he couldn't use Firefox because it had a memory leak that would basically crash his slow laptop if he used it for any length of time. As far I as I know, said leak has been fixed with the newer releases of FF.

So as it stands, if you don't open very many windows/tabs, FF probably will use more memory, but as you increase the number tabs, Chrome will overtake it in memory usage. It's probably a totally moot point for most people today, but if you ever find your computer is slowing down ( http://a.imageshack.us/img27/582/waitb.gif ) and you have Chrome open, you might consider looking at just how much memory Chrome is consuming. http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3043/post598012563907423488.gif

Edit: Just got a Chrome add in the banner at the bottom of the page... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by sparrowhawk: Nov 12 2010, 06:10 PM

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
Contabile
Awards: 1

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 12 2010, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (sparrowhawk @ Nov 12 2010, 04:10 PM)
Just a random thing I noticed when I was fiddling with the Windows Task List:  Chrome forks off another process for every tab you open.  Firefox maintains all of its tabs inside one process.

Considering how cheap memory is these days, it's not a big deal, but if you like a lot of tabs, the overhead of creating new processes will make Chrome a huge memory hog. On a related note, a few years ago a friend of mine insisted he couldn't use Firefox because it had a memory leak that would basically crash his slow laptop if he used it for any length of time.  As far I as I know, said leak has been fixed with the newer releases of FF.

So as it stands, if you don't open very many windows/tabs, FF probably will use more memory, but as you increase the number tabs, Chrome will overtake it in memory usage.  It's probably a totally moot point for most people today, but if you ever find your computer is slowing down ( http://a.imageshack.us/img27/582/waitb.gif ) and you have Chrome open, you might consider looking at just how much memory Chrome is consuming. http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3043/post598012563907423488.gif

I remember reading about this when google was about to launch chrome... What they say is that this is quite a benefit, since if one tab hangs or has any problem you can simply close the tab (ending one single process) and keep all your other tabs running perfectly fine and without even closing the browser.

To be honest I've never used that feature of the browser because neither FF nor Chrome crash on me regularly, but I am aware about the memory consumption Chrome can bring if you open that many tabs. I've never really checked how much memory chrome uses but I've had FF open for 3+ hours right now and it's taking some 200+ MB.

It's also weird that in Chrome you can't shout in the shoutbox. I think I read one of the posts that they weren't able to shout with chrome, and a couple of days ago I tried and I couldn't.

*EDIT* That's not random SH, it can make a difference tongue.gif

This post has been edited by JarZe: Nov 12 2010, 06:34 PM

The light of knowledge guides us through the dark forest of life - JarZe
Champ
3-5
B: 2-2
G: 1-2
I: 0-1
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 13 2010, 12:03 AM
i haven't used opera at all, i tend to stay away from Mac, explorer has failed me time and time again.
that leaves chrome and firefox. i haven't used chrome much, either, just got it recently when i downloaded skype. but i have to say firefox is my all time favourite. it played movies and music better, i can pick out my own persona, i use the bookmarks toolbar all the time...and i even like the name biggrin.gif
i have nothing against chrome, except for the lack of personas (from what i've seen, then again, i've barely used it)

EDIT: @SH, same here

This post has been edited by LJayden: Nov 13 2010, 12:04 AM

Okay! That only took me about ten minutes...
The Accused
Awards: 6

B: 7-5
G: 21-10
I: 3-5
O: 6-8
TB:
TG:
  Posted Nov 13 2010, 09:53 PM
user posted image

user posted image

Weak Minds Think iLike
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Debates | Next Newest »

Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll