Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

Nana7
Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

GAME IDEAS

When you feel your game idea is fully ready to be played, please START A NEW TOPIC in Games Ready with the final RIDs, rules, FAQ and prologue if applicable. Thanks, MafiaManiac Staff

Add Reply
New Poll

The Orville Part 1
shrugged
Group Icon
Awards: 21

B: 13-12
G: 27-21
I: 3-4
O: 7-15
TB: Nope
TG: Nope
  Posted Nov 5 2017, 10:05 AM
The Orville

Attached Image

These are the voyages of ... ahem ... to barely go where no one has gone twice before. To explore strange new worlds and make fun of aliens, no, that's not right, meet funny new aliens. No, that doesn't sound right either. BRB. I need to consult the script.

Goodies - The crew of the Orville, a mid-level exploratory spaceship facing the wonders and the dangers of the galaxy in a future hopefully far far away. Wincon: Rid the galaxy of ... I dunno ... others? Wait, that's not very exploratory.

1. Captain Ed Mercer - Commanding Officer - Once top of his class at Union Point, went through a rough patch before being given his first command, albeit a mid-class vessel. His dream. Sort of.

2. Comm. Kelly Grayson - First Officer - A talented command officer, once married to the captain, now not so much. Totally professionally 100%. Except when not. But she is number one in almost everything else.

3. Lt. Comm. Bortus - Second Officer - Coming from a single gendered species (Moclans) with very unique cultural and behavioral quirks. Such as almost no sense of humor and being able to eat almost anything in the galaxy.

4. Dr. Claire Finn - Chief Medical Officer - A seasoned medical officer who feels the Orville's unique crew will most likely get into trouble on a daily basis making her life much more interesting.

5. Isaac - Science Officer - A Kaylon AI convinced that all biological beings are inferior, but nevertheless an entertaining topic to study at close range. Not assimilate, just study. For now.

6. Lt. Gordon Malloy - Helmsman - The captain's best friend and a legendary pilot, otherwise known to have major problems with authority and logic. He compensates by being the funniest guy on his shift. And saving the ship. A lot.

7. Lt. Alara Kitan - Chief Security Officer - A young Xelayan with superhuman strength, durability and a lot to learn about the universe. Most famous for opening and/or breaking pickle jars. And walls. And tables. And pretty much anything solid. Including relationships.

8. Lt. John LaMarr - Navigator - Helmsman and engineer. And mostly likely to yell while destroying an enemy vessel. While drinking soda on the job. Yeah. Just normal I guess.

Baddies - The universe is full of xenophobic characters. Okay maybe not so abundant, but that's just because the universe is mostly just empty space... Wincon: Rule the universe. If not possible, at least be in majority. Have a group NK that can be stopped only if the target is saved.

9. Hamelac - A theocratic dictator with a penchant for death penalties and torture, but only if executed by others. Afraid of the truth out there and happy to rule his cute little pond instead. Hamelac. Not a nice name indeed.

10. Unnamed Krill Captain - A hostile member of a maleficent species rumored to have sacred religious texts making them xenophobic to the extreme. Hmm. Where did we see that before? Nah, that must be a coincidence. Spoiler alert: he does not like the sunlight.

Indy - Every conflict has its bystanders and mercenaries. And sometimes individuals that know how to profit. Wincon: Secret. It does involve RIDs. And killing. But mostly RIDs. J/K. The Indy has a SECRET list of 3 roles and needs to personally remove at least 2 from the game (via kill or hacking the vote and getting one of the targets lynched). The list does not necessarily include baddies. Indy achieving this wincon stops the game immediately with no tie wins possible. If Indy's primary wincon is unachievable then it becomes last standing.

11. Pria Lavesque - An independent and mysterious woman capable of navigating dark matter storms. So at least we know she has definitely played her share of video games in her youth. She most likely has a secret agenda, but that is for her to know and for you to find out.

Rules:
* Abilities come from a pool which involves all the players and are assigned at the beginning of the game randomly by the host. Once an ability is given, the player can either use it for the rest of the game or just ONCE can exchange/swap it with an unknown random ability in the pool. The discarded ability does not return into the pool, it is lost from the game. Exchanging can be done at any point during the game and is instantaneous, player is able to use that ability the same cycle. If there is no ability in the pool, the player becomes vanilla, so there is risk involved. The exchange is instantaneous so one cannot use two abilities the same night or day but may use two abilities in the same phase. Conditional actions are allowed to avoid waiting for the host "e.g. swap my ability. If it's Block, block no one, if it's Save, save Player X, if it's Kill, kill no one, etc."
* Ability pool (2 copies x 7 abilities = 14 abilities)
** Kill - Take out the target with a hand weapon. If that does not work, beam it away on a deserted planet. If that does not work, I'm outta ideas. Let's get creative here people.
** Oracle - Get three names on a piece of paper and told if any baddies are present. Indy registers as a goodie. Cannot write his own name.
** Save - Can save one person if they are targeted for a kill. Not self because reasons. I forgot the exact reasons but it was important.
** Block - Can stop another person by hitting him/her in the head. Repeatedly. Maybe a bit too verbose, but you get the picture. Just see it as a practical joke and reciprocate when you get the chance.
** Spy - Can find out the height, weight and role ID of the given target. But only during the night.
** RID Kill - Can influence the gods of the universe to remove a troublesome character but only if the stars align. And the role is known. Yeah, meant to say that. Makes much more sense that way.
** Vote hack - Can add votes by manipulating social media feeds. Yup, that is apparently a thing nowadays. Can add 1 or subtract 1 from the vote tally.
* Initial random distribution cannot include 2 kills/RID kill abilities for the baddie team. If that happens, the host keeps shuffling the abilities until this constraint is satisfied.
* OOA: Block > Save > RID Kill > Kill > Spy. Kills are not blocking.
* NP shows only Kills and Saves. DP shows lynched player's faction and ability.
* Blocks will count as successful if the block went through unstopped by another block. Daily actions (vote hacks) are blocked if target was blocked previous night. Blocked players will be told so. Two blocks blocking each other => both succeed.
* No abstaining is allowed, every player starts the day with a vote on self.
* Tie: D1 No lynch. D2+ All lynched.

EDIT: Added clarifications for ability pool and Indy wincon marked in orange.

This post has been edited by araver: Nov 12 2017, 06:27 AM

... A red bird of my desire came and sat upon my shoulder, and I wrote a note and tied it to its leg and sent it off into the west. It said, "I'll be back," and it was signed by me.
... I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.
... *shrug* Good-bye and hello, as always.

Spoiler for The three laws of the ol' faithful goodie killer

user posted image
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Nov 10 2017, 07:45 AM
Added a few clarifications.

Wondering if plasmid is still around to take a look so I can host this after STV (too much space-opera? there is no such thing. Besides, we got another lane empty anyways).

... A red bird of my desire came and sat upon my shoulder, and I wrote a note and tied it to its leg and sent it off into the west. It said, "I'll be back," and it was signed by me.
... I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.

user posted image
lolcat
Awards: 17

B: 2-4
G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Nov 11 2017, 11:05 AM
QUOTE (araver @ Nov 10 2017, 05:45 AM)
Added a few clarifications.

Wondering if plasmid is still around to take a look so I can host this after STV (too much space-opera? there is no such thing. Besides, we got another lane empty anyways).

Need more explanation on how ability distribution from the pool will work.

First off, how does a player get an ability from the pool -- random assignment at the start of the game or do you have to do something to get an ability given to you?

There's an ability pool with seven abilities, and there are eleven players in the game (ten if you exclude the indy from the ability pool, but the OP says it involves all players), so do some players go vanilla? Are there multiple copies of some abilities? (I'm guessing not since there's talk of exchanging your ability for a random ability still in the pool but idk.)

Would the players have any way of knowing which abilities are still in the pool, and therefore what they might get if they exchange theirs? Does a player become vanilla if they try to exchange when there are no abilities in the pool, or does the exchange attempt just fail?

Can baddies get the kill ability? That'd be pretty overpowered. But there's 8 goodies vs 2 baddies so maybe not. Can indy get the role spy ability?

You want 8 goodies vs 2 baddies?
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Nov 11 2017, 05:40 PM
Inline
QUOTE (plasmid @ Nov 11 2017, 06:05 PM)

Need more explanation on how ability distribution from the pool will work.

First off, how does a player get an ability from the pool -- random assignment at the start of the game or do you have to do something to get an ability given to you?
>> Random assignment

There's an ability pool with seven abilities, and there are eleven players in the game (ten if you exclude the indy from the ability pool, but the OP says it involves all players), so do some players go vanilla? Are there multiple copies of some abilities? (I'm guessing not since there's talk of exchanging your ability for a random ability still in the pool but idk.)
>> I thought to include two copies of each ability, so that no CC can be done.

Would the players have any way of knowing which abilities are still in the pool, and therefore what they might get if they exchange theirs? Does a player become vanilla if they try to exchange when there are no abilities in the pool, or does the exchange attempt just fail?
>> No you don't get to know what is behind door #2.
If the pool is empty you may get nothing and become vanilla.
Learning if others have done it before or not may influence one's decision but nothing is certain. 14-11=3 left in the pool.

Can baddies get the kill ability? That'd be pretty overpowered. But there's 8 goodies vs 2 baddies so maybe not.
>> The baddies are 2 not 3 because they can get a kill ability and goodies are more uninformed than usual - they don't know each other's abilities. Plus the NP does not show too much info to narrow down / early PoE role discovery.

Can indy get the role spy ability?
>> Yes.
The wincon formulation is a tongue in cheek reference to the actual Orville episode. I will rephrase that in the OP: The Indy needs to snatch at least 2 out of 3 persons. This may or may not include a baddie. Once this is done, the Indy wins and game stops. No tie wins possible.

You want 8 goodies vs 2 baddies?

>> Yes. As I said above, I think goodies not knowing the role+ability pairs coupled with the fact baddies that may get effective combos (an extreme case being RID+spy combos) makes it closer to a 8vs3/9vs3 scenario. Plus the Indy unbalancing factor who prevents both teams from winning.

Balance is tricky because of random ability distribution but the switch is a player decision that can influence both teams. I agree I am still experimenting with this switch mechanic, but I think it adds enough ways for each team to customize their strategy.

user posted image
lolcat
Awards: 17

B: 2-4
G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Nov 11 2017, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (araver @ Nov 11 2017, 03:40 PM)
Inline

I'm a little leery of having the possibility of a kill ability (or two kill abilities if random.org feels malevolent) going into baddie hands and saying it's countered by the fact that it's 2 vs 8. But not so leery that I would say you can't run it that way if you want.

Mechanically, there might be a timing issue with making ability swaps instantaneous -- if someone swaps out an ability during a night phase and doesn't get informed what their new ability is before they go to sleep, then they're stuck not acting that phase.

Only other thing I would add to the OP is to say explicitly whether abilities go back into the pool if a player dies or swaps out their ability, or if the ability is lost forever. I'm guessing both are lost since it's possible to have an empty pool but I might be wrong about if players die.

But overall I say ok to post signups however you decide about any of the above.
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Nov 12 2017, 06:24 AM
QUOTE (plasmid @ Nov 12 2017, 02:24 AM)

I'm a little leery of having the possibility of a kill ability (or two kill abilities if random.org feels malevolent)  going into baddie hands and saying it's countered by the fact that it's 2 vs 8. But not so leery that I would say you can't run it that way if you want.
>>OK, I would specifically add that the first random distribution does not contain more than 1 Kill/RID Kill ability for the baddies. They may draw another kill at the risk of becoming vanilla.

Mechanically, there might be a timing issue with making ability swaps instantaneous -- if someone swaps out an ability during a night phase and doesn't get informed what their new ability is before they go to sleep, then they're stuck not acting that phase.
>>I would accept conditional actions ... and yes, time-zone issues may interfere, without a co-host I am down 8h/phase, however swapping is a risky operation in itself and mostly there for "in case of emergency break glass" scenarios.

Only other thing I would add to the OP is to say explicitly whether abilities go back into the pool if a player dies or swaps out their ability, or if the ability is lost forever. I'm guessing both are lost since it's possible to have an empty pool but I might be wrong about if players die.
Done

But overall I say ok to post signups however you decide about any of the above.
Thank you

user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Game Ideas | Next Newest »

Add Reply
New Poll