Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

Nana7
Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Player Etiquette

Please note that beside the general rules of the current game, there are a few important things players should avoid at all costs: PM repping, Illegal BTSC, Ghost Posts, Active Metagaming, Account sharing.
Please read about them in the Board Rules

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Martian Moon Mafia placeholder
lolcat
Awards: 17

B: 2-4
G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Oct 9 2017, 09:44 AM
Game starts now.

All BTSCs are set up.

All role PMs are out. Except if your inbox is full. In which case you should go delete stuff and then tell me to re-send your role.

N1 ends in , PM me
1) Actions
2) Which moon you want to be on for D1/N2
before deadline.

Nothing to see in this thread, go to whichever lunar thread you happen to be on. Except the OP which I'll go ahead and post here.
lolcat

TB:
  Posted Oct 9 2017, 09:45 AM
This game takes place in two separate threads – the Phobos and Deimos threads (the two moons of Mars) – with about half of the players in each thread at any given time. Players may only communicate with other players in the same thread, but may act on and vote for any player in the game regardless of which moon they’re on.

When players die or get lynched, they’re exiled from the moons and forced to the surface of Mars. Players on Mars can still act on anyone and be acted on. They may also vote for any player on a moon, and whoever gets the most votes from the surface of Mars will have a vote added to the total number of votes against them from the two moons. Players on Mars can see both of the moon threads in addition to the Mars thread.

During the night, players who are still on a moon will PM me their choice of which moon to be on for the next day. I’ll shuffle the list of players and grant wishes until a moon has half of the moon-dwelling players, then the rest of the moon dwellers will go to the other moon. The masons are an exception – before assigning any other players to moons, I’ll take the first moon-dwelling mason on the shuffled list and grant his wish, then put the second mason on the opposite moon (unless he’s on Mars). At the end of the night, the lunar threads will be locked and moved to ghosties or something where they're no longer visible. The nightpost for each moon (and Mars) will show actions that targeted players that were on that moon during the night and will only be visible to players that end up on that moon on the following day. The lynch will reveal faction but not role to everyone regardless of location. A list of which players are moon-dwelling and which are on Mars will be known to everyone at the beginning of each phase.

Baddies
Wincon: Convince the host you're guaranteed to get all of the goodies to Mars
Group NK. BTSC regardless of location.
The game will start with three baddies and four abilities to choose from. The baddies are anonymous and may use any action on any night/day cycle, but only one action per night/day cycle and the team may only use each action once per night/day cycle.
RID mind control. Must be used by a moon-dwelling baddie who will be publicly revealed as baddie to his moon if the RID is incorrect, and may only be used on a moon-dwelling goodie (not necessarily on the same moon). You control the target's action for the night (except ODTG yes/no). If you RID a mason then you get to see the mason thread and the masons lose access to it for the next day and night. After a successful mind control, the target is sent to Mars.
Block. If you target a mason then the mason thread is locked for the next day and night.
Bulletproof. You survive any night kills or a lynch the following day, and this ability is lost after it prevents a death. This is blockable.
Vote x0-x2. Self only. Fails if you were blocked on the previous night.

Goodies
Wincon: Send all baddies to Mars
Mason.
Mason.
Kill.
Follow spy. Sees masons as acting on each other, bulletproofs as acting on self (unless the bulletproof was already consumed).
Block.
Save.
Bulletproof. Same rules as the baddie version.
ODTG host yes/no question. Blockable but the ODTG will not be wasted if blocked.

Appears in NP:
- Successful kills including whether it's from a baddie NK, goodie kill, or RID mind control
- Needed saves, appears as "[Player] was saved"
- Needed bulletproof use, appears as "[Player] was saved" indistinguishable from a regular save
- Blocks including faction of blocker
If a player is successfully saved, the kill attempt won't appear in the NP
Saves and bulletproofs won't stop RID mind control death
Tie lynch rules: D1 no lynch, D2+ all are sent to Mars
OOA: RID mind control >> blocks. If the two blocks block each other then both blocks will appear in the NP. Kills are not blocking.

Direct copy/pasting stuff from a previous cycle into a new cycle after people swap moons is considered PM-repping and illegal. Paraphrasing and summarizing is ok.
lolcat

TB:
  Posted Oct 16 2017, 10:18 PM
Night 4
Nana RIDs yuiop so she’s off to Mars.
The baddies try to NK Hirk, but he saves himself so he goes into D4.
But it doesn’t matter. Had SH’s kill on a blocked (and therefore bullet-proof-less) mtam been successful then it would have been a different story, but Marq’s block on SH prevents that kill from going through.

So it goes into D4 with mtam and Nana vs Hirk and the Martians. The baddie votes are a foregone conclusion, and the best Hirk and the Martians can do is tie it. So Hirk and one baddie could die, but it’s still a guaranteed baddie win with one baddie left standing.

BTSC threads will be moved to archives in a little bit. Mtam is the clear MVP. And more thoughts are to follow when I get a chance. This thread is unlocked for post-game chat.
Contabile
Awards: None
4-0
B: 1-0
G: 1-0
I:
O: 1-0
TB: 1-0
TG:
  Posted Oct 16 2017, 10:32 PM
Thanks for hosting the game. It was a lot of fun. I will also be able to answer questions on mind sets going into the final days from my scum perspective.
Indy
Group Icon
Awards: 30

B: 8-10
G: 16-12
I: 6-0
O: 8-14
TB: 0-0
TG: 0-2
  Posted Oct 16 2017, 10:45 PM
congrats on the MVP you totally deserve it!

Sorry I was not around but I have limited computer access and I'm on my phone right now I'm still getting used to it. Good job pulling it's off.

Air Buddies go Buddies go bodies call bodies GoDaddy go bodies Daddy's Baddies

"Breaking News, and then trying to carefully glue it back together before anybody notices."
-from Cracked News
The Hunter
Awards: 7

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 16 2017, 11:51 PM
I agree....He ran the show for us. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/hug.gif

This post has been edited by Marquessa: Oct 16 2017, 11:51 PM

"You DONT want me in my quiet place!"-Anita Blake
shrugged
Group Icon
Awards: 21

B: 13-12
G: 27-21
I: 3-4
O: 7-15
TB: Nope
TG: Nope
  Posted Oct 17 2017, 12:15 AM
Thank you for the game, Plasmid. Indeed this was a very nice concept eliciting a lot of creative thinking. And frustration.

Congrats to the baddies for winning, yes.

But I am torn.

It may have looked like a close call but it really wasn't.

Hats off for Sparrow and Sally. But inactivity (I mean talkin' Hirk, GM) and Mason outing to both threads (Insaner I get he's a straightforward guy, but yuiop, why??) made it next to impossible to survive baddie double-kills per night.

MVP choice may have been the host's decision, but I would like to mention that my vote wouldn't have been there. No offense mtam, but from a baddie perspective, going with my plan and choosing to lynch Hirk would have guaranteed the goodie killer coming for me the next night, making it much easier fo you to win - had GM been the killer you would have not won. More than that, ridding insaner was a definite mistake as it narrowed down mtam immediately after I was lynched. Yes, I will grant that you pocketed players in the game thread. But due to the Mars mechanics, that wasn't gonna fly for long. You played the short game and won, gg. But don't expect it to work every time.

... A red bird of my desire came and sat upon my shoulder, and I wrote a note and tied it to its leg and sent it off into the west. It said, "I'll be back," and it was signed by me.
... I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.
... *shrug* Good-bye and hello, as always.

Spoiler for The three laws of the ol' faithful goodie killer

user posted image
Trust me!
Group Icon
Awards: 3

8-5
B: 1-1
G: 5-3
I: 1-0
O: 0-1
TG:
  Posted Oct 17 2017, 03:40 AM
araver how do you even make that slip without ACTUALLY reading my BTSC? So sick http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/XD.gif

Also, if you didn't get it, my outing in the moon thread was a misspost. And once I outed yuiop's outing didn't matter so she outed so she could vote for you.
Trust me!
Group Icon
Awards: 3

8-5
B: 1-1
G: 5-3
I: 1-0
O: 0-1
TG:
  Posted Oct 17 2017, 03:42 AM
mtamburini you got me good http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/XD.gif

Congrats on the MVP http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/thumbsup.gif
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Oct 17 2017, 05:50 AM
QUOTE (Insaner @ Oct 17 2017, 11:40 AM)
araver how do you even make that slip without ACTUALLY reading my BTSC? So sick http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/XD.gif

Also, if you didn't get it, my outing in the moon thread was a misspost. And once I outed yuiop's outing didn't matter so she outed so she could vote for you.

http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/smile.gif)

I didn't slip, as SH correctly pointed out to you, I didn't mean more than I said: didn't Hirk address being baddie blocked?
I think you got confirmation bias - you were looking for things that supported your theory = confirmed I was a baddie. In that mindset you can turn almost everything into a "slip".

And yes, I understand that it was accidental on Deimos, I meant it hurt us badly in the end-game and it was unexpected on Phobos from my PoV. Doing it on one moon may help narrow baddies as it happened here, but it's one hell of a gambit ... doing it on both ensures baddies get at least one RID.

... A red bird of my desire came and sat upon my shoulder, and I wrote a note and tied it to its leg and sent it off into the west. It said, "I'll be back," and it was signed by me.
... I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.

user posted image
lolcat

TB:
  Posted Oct 17 2017, 09:08 AM
Overall I think this game went pretty well, at least for those who were active enough to enjoy it. This is one of my more deceptive games in that it doesn't have completely outrageous mechanics like a Dungeons & Mafia or KaTSWiLM or something and looks sort of like a conventional game, until you actually get into it and see that this doesn't work like a usual mafia. I did the thing with dead players still able to participate in Poltergeist Mafia before, but this time there was no delay in the Poltergeists seeing the Mortal realm, and the Martians could see everything in real time and even more than the lunarians. Like sparrowhawk said and the arguments about a baddie self-kill indicated, people were arguably in a better position on Mars because of being able to see all of the threads. That accomplished one of the main things I like to do - take the dullness out of an early demise (part of the motivation for using Dungeons & Mafia with hit points, multiple lives in KaTSWiLM, and lots of soldiers in Toy Soldiers). It's too bad GM didn't hang around more after he got killed since a well-placed ODTG question could have really helped the goodies, but part of that is my fault because I messed up the BTSCs initially and didn't have Mars seeing the two lunar threads so he was operating blindly, which wouldn't be much fun or an incentive to keep playing after death.

As for splitting the game between two moons, I thought it would help activity and that having a smaller crowd on each moon would make it tougher for anyone to lurk and coast through, but apparently I was badly mistaken. It served as a counterbalance where the difficulty for the goodies to coordinate lynches on the moons compensated for the boosted power the goodies got when Mars started filling up with goodies who were still able to influence the game, so it was somewhat necessary, but if it ended up hurting activity because a few inactives meant that it was impossible for people to have conversations then maybe there needs to be a different way of doing that in the future.

For those who stayed active, thanks for acting as test subjects in my diabolical experiment.
Contabile
4-0
B: 1-0
G: 1-0
I:
O: 1-0
TG:
  Posted Oct 17 2017, 10:06 AM
QUOTE (araver @ Oct 17 2017, 12:15 AM)
Thank you for the game, Plasmid. Indeed this was a very nice concept eliciting a lot of creative thinking. And frustration.

But I am torn.

Hats off for Sparrow and Sally. But inactivity (I mean talkin' Hirk, GM) and Mason outing to both threads (Insaner I get he's a straightforward guy, but yuiop, why??) made it next to impossible to survive baddie double-kills per night.

MVP choice may have been the host's decision, but I would like to mention that my vote wouldn't have been there. No offense mtam, but from a baddie perspective, going with my plan and choosing to lynch Hirk would have guaranteed the goodie killer coming for me the next night, making it much easier fo you to win - had GM been the killer you would have not won. More than that, ridding insaner was a definite mistake as it narrowed down mtam immediately after I was lynched. Yes, I will grant that you pocketed players in the game thread. But due to the Mars mechanics, that wasn't gonna fly for long. You played the short game and won, gg. But don't expect it to work every time.

I killed the players that were actively posting during the game and left the ones who weren't. It was that easy
Piciotto
B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 17 2017, 10:20 AM
Hey I just thought of something. Can I make a suggestion? What do you think of a role goodie or baddie whose abilities are unlocked after they are killed/lynched? This is not possible in other games as people dont act after being killed or lynched but possible in a setup like this. It would be interesting to have players try to draw the lynch or kill without being obvious.
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Oct 17 2017, 11:26 AM
QUOTE (mtamburini @ Oct 17 2017, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (araver @ Oct 17 2017, 12:15 AM)

But I am torn.

I killed the players that were actively posting during the game and left the ones who weren't. It was that easy

http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/lol.gif
I read the Baddie BTSC, it was not that easy as you make it sound. I meant what I said (GG for winning the game). Especially since you did that without getting a lot of the info goodies thought you/baddie BTSC had (in real time).

You don't know me very well and since we are out of the game I will elaborate:

What I told you above are 2 things that could have been done differently to solidify/guarantee a win, that you don't seem to have considered. If I see things like that I usually say it out loud after game ends because maybe next time we are teammates and I'd appreciate my living teammates looking at all angles and not expect same strategy to work every time. Of course, this feedback is biased from my own PoV, not perfect and you may ignore it ... but RID killing someone who can be traced back to you or not going for a mislynch+frame combo handed to you on a platter may very well make the difference between win and loss. Add to that what SH said that he expected not to be killed after he was setup for a lynch, and the convo between maurice and Insaner where maurice (as follow spy) got 1 mason figured out without doing it openly and apparently enough that you did not get his role.

user posted image
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Oct 17 2017, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (Sally @ Oct 17 2017, 06:20 PM)
Hey I just thought of something. Can I make a suggestion? What do you think of a role goodie or baddie whose abilities are unlocked after they are killed/lynched? This is not possible in other games as people dont act after being killed or lynched but possible in a setup like this. It would be interesting to have players try to draw the lynch or kill without being obvious.

I don't remember this being done, but I didn't play or read Polstergeist that plas was referring to.

It would be cool to have that "upgrade" but as the game progresses there's bound to be more people ghosted than alive so it would have to be limited IMHO. Otherwise everyone will try to "die" to level up ... making it very hard to design a balanced wincon. I think I would be motivated to try and get an upgrade if it meant more abilities for my team e.g. an "unblockable" upgrade to the ability. If it were new abilities different across roles (e.g. alive block gets a kill after dying, alive spy gets the chance to broadcast a message after dying) it would be outed at soon as they are used/shown in the NP ... Hmm, it sounds intriguing enough to work. Maybe dead weak roles become powerful roles, dead power roles ... not.

user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Lane 1 Current Game | Next Newest »

Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll