Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

GMaster479
Current Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Classic Den Mafia Template
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon
Awards: 20

B: 6-5
G: 5-6
I: 4-2
O: 5-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 22 2018, 06:21 PM
QUOTE (Machina @ Jan 22 2018, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (Yuli @ Jan 22 2018, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Boquise @ Jan 22 2018, 06:49 AM)
Yuli Machina
The double rid is something that I and some others have been using, so it was mostly out of reflexive tradition that I included it as the anti-claim mechanism. But I am pro for changing it up and make it better.

Alright let's see what one can do with this

Yeah, I don't think the benefits of a single RID kill are ever better than a Kill for the baddies.

Two RID kills can compare and exceed a normal kill. But a single RID kill just won't. I think 2 RID Kills is good and a great countermeasure for public claiming.

I don't really have much to add here. Although unlike Plasmid, I would probably let a kill through in the event 1 RID guess is correct and the other is incorrect.
But he may have a reason for an "all or nothing" approach that I'm just not seeing.

The rationale is to punish those who out blatantly. If one person outs but you are unsure of a second, it makes it a calculated risk to go for the double kill. Otherwise you take the sure RID Kill and have a free shot at another. This puts baddies in a position to decide if they should take the bird in hand or go for the two in the bush.

Your way is not invalid or a way I disagree with, though I've employed the double rid or giving baddies the ability to rid kill every other night. Really all that needs to happen is a quick thought experiment on how baddies may play it and what the ramifications are.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law
I always tell the truth, even when I lie - Tony Montana
What' chu talkin' about, Willis? - Arnold Jackson

The world is my oyster. It gave me diarrhetic shellfish poisoning.

MafiaManiac BROWNIE points
1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4
7.Hirkala-
3 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 11. darth nox-2 11. EDM-2 13.Laiam-1
lolcat
Awards: 17

B: 2-4
G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Jan 23 2018, 12:32 AM
QUOTE (Machina @ Jan 22 2018, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Yuli @ Jan 22 2018, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Boquise @ Jan 22 2018, 06:49 AM)
Yuli Machina
The double rid is something that I and some others have been using, so it was mostly out of reflexive tradition that I included it as the anti-claim mechanism. But I am pro for changing it up and make it better.

Alright let's see what one can do with this

Yeah, I don't think the benefits of a single RID kill are ever better than a Kill for the baddies.

Two RID kills can compare and exceed a normal kill. But a single RID kill just won't. I think 2 RID Kills is good and a great countermeasure for public claiming.

I don't really have much to add here. Although unlike Plasmid, I would probably let a kill through in the event 1 RID guess is correct and the other is incorrect.
But he may have a reason for an "all or nothing" approach that I'm just not seeing.

Pretty much what mo said. And I designed one of our Turbo game setups (Mafia of Liars) to let one of the two RID kills succeed even if the other was incorrect, but I decided I didn't like it that way. I think it was because it's not uncommon for baddies to be able to figure out a role just through normal game events short of blatant claiming and it seems unfair to give them a free pot-shot at a double kill in that situation, while the thing that can and has IMO broken some games before we started doing this was mass claiming with pretty much all of the goodies claiming at once.

This post has been edited by plasmid: Jan 23 2018, 12:34 AM
Monsieur
Group Icon
Awards: 31

B: 10-9
G: 36-21
I: 3-6
O: 10-12
TB: 2-1
TG: 3-7
  Posted Jan 23 2018, 04:48 AM
^pretty much the rationale I have been going with

I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself, as it were. So, in case, I always carry a revolver about with me. - Epikhodov
-
And perhaps we are funny. But you must never imagine, that just because something is funny, Monsieur le Marquis, it is not dangerous. - Mr. Croup
-
I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept. - Monsieur le Marquis
-
There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation!... A human being cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away. - Agatha Christie
Head hurt yet?
Group Icon
Awards: 5

B: 2-4
G: 9-9
I: 0-4
O: 2-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 23 2018, 04:01 PM
Boquise definitely needs a better control over outing/hinting so here are some ideas
* as already discussed RID kill
* Once per game chain RID kill, Baddies RID every person and all that are correct die
* a baddie gains abilities and role id of the first person to die (need to ensure no talking n1 for this to work effectively)
* roles are known but faction chosen at random each game
* having duplicated roles which will give baddies some cover if everyone outs
* having fake duplicated roles. As an example have one kill role and one role who thinks they are they kill but does nothing but visit
* do not make some/all roles public (leave them as ?)
* mix and match the above

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008
Monsieur
Group Icon

Posted Jan 23 2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks Phaze!

I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself, as it were. So, in case, I always carry a revolver about with me. - Epikhodov
-
And perhaps we are funny. But you must never imagine, that just because something is funny, Monsieur le Marquis, it is not dangerous. - Mr. Croup
-
I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept. - Monsieur le Marquis
-
There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation!... A human being cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away. - Agatha Christie
Moderately Menacing Machine
Awards: 1

4-1
B: 2-1
G: 1-0
I: 1-0
O: 0-0
TB: 0-0
TG: 0-0
  Posted Jan 23 2018, 04:44 PM
Now that I stop and think about it, could you perhaps clarify what we're primarily aiming for here? That might seem redundant, but hear me out.

Is the goal to create a template inexperienced hosts can easily pick up and use?
To create a balanced role list that can be played multiple times without becoming stale/formulaic? (From the wording of the OP, this definitely seems to be at least one of your priorities)
To create games new or inexperienced players can grasp easily?
Or all of the above?

Thwarting CAPTCHA one at a time.
Monsieur
Group Icon

Posted Jan 23 2018, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Machina @ Jan 23 2018, 09:44 PM)
Now that I stop and think about it, could you perhaps clarify what we're primarily aiming for here? That might seem redundant, but hear me out.

Is the goal to create a template inexperienced hosts can easily pick up and use?
To create a balanced role list that can be played multiple times without becoming stale/formulaic? (From the wording of the OP, this definitely seems to be at least one of your priorities)
To create games new or inexperienced players can grasp easily?
Or all of the above?

Pretty much all of it.

Also. We have lately been slow at getting games out, ready to be hosted. We've also had a small decrease in activity, although you and Deoxy are helping us to pick up. Me, Araver and Hachi discussed in another thread that it'd be good if we are able to chunk out the regular Den mafia experience continuously, so we always have a game ready. This could net us more members, because not all completely new peeps would want to join a complicated game with (to them) alien mechanics.

By doing so, they get the level 1 easy mode version of Den mafia and imo that makes it likelier that they stay and play some more, get a bit more adventurous tbh.

Also good for the kind of host that is more interested in flavour writing than mechanics.

-
-
-
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Mafia Discussion | Next Newest »

Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll