Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

Nana7
Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Add Reply
New Poll

Discussion about Mafia based tool, As taken from Mafia Championship
Head hurt yet?
Group Icon
Awards: 5

B: 2-4
G: 9-9
I: 0-4
O: 2-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted May 31 2016, 04:02 PM
Now that the championship preliminary game has ended this can be given a good discussion without influencing an ongoing game. There are a number of tools on Mafia Universe that we may be able to implement here. I have a a very brief discussion with Thingyman about getting the code. It appears even if they would be willing to share it would do no good as this site runs differently. That however does not mean that we cannot develop some of our own tools to help improve game-play and hosting however.

Some of the tools they have on Mafia Universe
* Automated host to count votes, print off a list of votes, to print out outcomes at the end of the day night and to freeze/unfreeze the thread
* The ability to display a list of who voted when and what order during the day
* the ability to use a dropdown box to vote.
* the ability to see conversations for a selected people (usually just a single person) in isolation.

Due to differences in game play between sites duplicating these tools (in their entirety) will not help. An example of this is that we normally start on a night phase and allow discussion at night so there is no need to freeze the thread. Also our voting format tends to be different , days tend to be shorter and requirement to be active not so strictly formalized (i.e we don't send out warnings if there has been less than 10 posts in a day phase)

That said I would like to open a discussion about what tools would be best for us. Consider what issues you have as a host, what would tools could help you be better at recording you suspicions or scum-hunting http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/inspect.gif .

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008
Head hurt yet?
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted May 31 2016, 04:02 PM
Keep in mind that we still need to figure out what can easily be implemented on this site (or offline if it suits better). A full blown mafia host was proposed by Ben Law years ago on Brainden but as far as I know has not been able to get off the ground http://brainden.com/forum/topic/4708--/. Also keep in mind that some tools may be restricted in where they can be used (i.e a tool to manage ordinary votes would not be able to be used for a mafia game with borda voting). This might not encourage the handcrafted mafias that are this sites strength.

Head hurt yet?
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted May 31 2016, 04:03 PM
@mo this was the conversation with Thingyman that I said I would explain later

The Space Cowboy
Group Icon
Awards: 18

B: 6-5
G: 5-6
I: 4-2
O: 5-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 2 2016, 01:20 PM
Seems to me there are some things we could automate, like a voting roster, maybe even submitting actions. Problem is that our site uses a lot of custom games with custom roles that make an MU level of automation near impossible. But I could be wrong and certainly there are tools we could develop that would better our experience.

I'd like to see a pm/email automate when game starts, when actions need to be submitted and/or when the day reaches a certain point without a post.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law
I always tell the truth, even when I lie - Tony Montana
What' chu talkin' about, Willis? - Arnold Jackson

The world is my oyster. It gave me diarrhetic shellfish poisoning.

MafiaManiac BROWNIE points
1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 10.darth nox-2 10.EDM-2 12.Laiam-1
Head hurt yet?
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 7 2016, 05:57 PM
Maybe a flash vote tool that would add all and any flash votes at end of day (only for those games that would allow it to be used)

I'm still a G
Group Icon
Awards: 6

B: 7-7
G: 22-18
I: 0-3
O: 5-10
TB: N/A
TG: N/A
  Posted Jun 7 2016, 06:01 PM
I'd love to know how they do it. I feel like there are tools here that can do this but I can't be sure. A few things that I know right now

- Hosts COULD (if they so chose to) close a topic at night and open it for the day. They should be able to do this via Moderation Options. Each host has this option for their own game thread, but not for turbo I believe.

- I believe that a voting dropdown would be difficult because I am not sure how you'd generate the list to place in the dropdown. However the idea of posting all votes in some sort of BBCode like
CODE
[VOTE]Phaze[/VOTE]
could be a possibility and then maybe something could run through the thread and grab all votes and list them in some way, but that is far beyond my abilities.

- Per Nana's request, I made it where there is a new "View Posts" option when you click on someone's name and then their dropdown. She wants it to be per game which may be possible but I am working on it.

lolcat
Awards: 17

G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Jun 10 2016, 06:44 PM
I briefly looked at what's involved in adding things to IPB. Using hooks to insert code doesn't seem like it would really let us do a lot of the things we'd ideally want in a dedicated mafia site. Really it would require copying the forums application of IPB into a new application and messing around with the PHP5 code, which is probably not realistically possible even if you had access to the source code unless things were extremely well documented.

In principle it should be possible to write a perl cgi script that does a lot of the stuff you'd want in a dedicated mafia site, but it would basically mean starting from scratch and losing all of the IPB forum features to go to a very primitive interface. I don't think such a thing could tie into the IPB architecture to keep all the nice bells and whistles.
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon
Awards: 18

B: 6-5
G: 5-6
I: 4-2
O: 5-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 10 2016, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (plasmid @ Jun 10 2016, 06:44 PM)
I briefly looked at what's involved in adding things to IPB. Using hooks to insert code doesn't seem like it would really let us do a lot of the things we'd ideally want in a dedicated mafia site. Really it would require copying the forums application of IPB into a new application and messing around with the PHP5 code, which is probably not realistically possible even if you had access to the source code unless things were extremely well documented.

In principle it should be possible to write a perl cgi script that does a lot of the stuff you'd want in a dedicated mafia site, but it would basically mean starting from scratch and losing all of the IPB forum features to go to a very primitive interface. I don't think such a thing could tie into the IPB architecture to keep all the nice bells and whistles.

I think we can trade doing things a little less automated for the bells and whistles and flexibility we are accustomed to.

I do a lot of things in Excel, including copying the voting roster and applying manips so that excel can count the votes and "flip coins" for me.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law
I always tell the truth, even when I lie - Tony Montana
What' chu talkin' about, Willis? - Arnold Jackson

The world is my oyster. It gave me diarrhetic shellfish poisoning.

MafiaManiac BROWNIE points
1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 10.darth nox-2 10.EDM-2 12.Laiam-1
I'm still a G
Group Icon
Awards: 6

B: 7-7
G: 22-18
I: 0-3
O: 5-10
TB: N/A
TG: N/A
  Posted Jun 10 2016, 07:32 PM
QUOTE (plasmid @ Jun 10 2016, 07:44 PM)

Yeah, this forum doesn't allow us to add in PHP anywhere at all. If the program was Javascript then it would be possible. I just wish I knew more about what they use.

Head hurt yet?
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 12 2016, 07:23 PM
It looks as if IPB uses some form of session key. Writing a CGI script (Perl) to post at an arbitrary time from a different server may be difficult. It might be possible however if the different server is a logged in user at the time.

Edit: I am going to need to think this through

This post has been edited by Phaze: Jun 12 2016, 07:24 PM

Monsieur
Group Icon
Awards: 28

B: 10-9
G: 36-20
I: 3-6
O: 10-11
TB: 2-1
TG: 3-7
  Posted Jun 24 2016, 08:57 AM
As a player there, I really liked the ISO. However, the problem with it is that games becomes very focused on the ISO. I found it problematic that some players based their reasoning solely on ISO, but there are a lot of niftiness with it.

Drop down vote and easy to check the current roster (and the voting history) are great and will eliminate man made screw-ups. I find it a bit boring and sad to not have an active host in the game that banters a bit. Like you weren't allowed to ask host questions in the thread

I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself, as it were. So, in case, I always carry a revolver about with me. - Epikhodov
-
And perhaps we are funny. But you must never imagine, that just because something is funny, Monsieur le Marquis, it is not dangerous. - Mr. Croup
-
I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept. - Monsieur le Marquis
-
There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation!... A human being cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away. - Agatha Christie
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Mafia Discussion | Next Newest »

Add Reply
New Poll