Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

GMaster479
Current Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Ethics: Role randomization

What is the most you would do when randomizing as a host?
Always role randomize once only and give roles based on that. [ 15 ]  [65.22%]
Can role randomize a few times until a good mix appears or swap a couple of roles to increase enjoyment or balance. [ 6 ]  [26.09%]
Randomize then swap more than 2 roles to increase enjoyment or balance. [ 1 ]  [4.35%]
Choose every role yourself. [ 1 ]  [4.35%]
Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
dee
Orange Marmalade
Group Icon
Awards: 7

B: 2-3
G: 10-10
I: 1-1
O: 1-4
TB: 1-0
TG: 0-2
  Posted May 8 2015, 12:59 AM
Randomize once. It's easier to follow. Even though it can result to making the same players baddies again, I just felt to follow as it is.

Wan to do something? Wiki needs your help. user posted image
Please pm me if you are interested or volunteer in the sign up game thread.
Thank you! user posted image
Consigliere
Awards: 3

B: 0-6
G: 6-2
I: 0-3
O: 1-7
TB: 1-0
TG: 0-2
  Posted May 8 2015, 02:59 AM
Both times I've hosted I just randomized once and stuck with it.

Not a fan of the host switching people up or choosing roles for people personally.

As for the lottery idea where you pick the roles you want and the host gives them out based on the number you selected, I played in a game on a different site with a similar set up to that. I posted the idea in Game Ideas close to when I first joined because it was a really fun set up

http://mafiamaniac.net/index.php?showtopic=3024

Obviously their are differences in how it was played on the other site and how we play here and the idea would have to be tweaked, but it was an extremely fun game and I think that if we had a host who knew what they were doing (he screwed my baddie team over pretty hard and then my teammate got mad, quit, and spoiled game) it would work well.
\\_THE_DERAILER!_//
Awards: 33

B: 13-14
G: 26-21
I: 4-5
O: 12-13
TB:
TG:
  Posted May 8 2015, 03:36 AM
That is an interesting idea, dd. Lots of wifom involved in it, too.

"Agh! My brain hurts! I think I'm going to need some glasses, a moustache and a handkerchief"
- sparrowhawk

“It’s only on the brink that people find the will to change.
Only at the precipice do we evolve.”

- John Cleese

"I wish I could go back in time and rant some more."
- Boq on Slick's Kitchen Mafia
What is life
Awards: 5

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted May 16 2015, 09:10 PM
I always randomize, though once I lost my initial list and had to reroll a game. That's the only time I rerolled.

I'm okay rolling I guess to a certain extent under certain points presented. Though I think I would feel to guilty to alter or reroll stuff.
Monsieur
Group Icon
Awards: 31

B: 10-9
G: 36-21
I: 3-6
O: 10-12
TB: 2-1
TG: 3-7
  Posted May 31 2015, 07:20 PM
I usually randomize only once. The reasons to my few rerolls have been mostly A) I screwed up with numbers and names and thus had to reroll. But once I B) rerolled the whole roster because I didn't feel like someone should be at a certain role. I felt extremely guilty afterwards and have just went with the first roll after that. I came up with this thought process:

I think that as a host, and fellow player, I should not judge other players for their roles and think that they can't handle it. The only way to get better at being a role is to practice it. Who am I to neglect people's chances for improvement? Maybe they can surprise us all and be a star in the game, but even if they won't, they will get experience. So, I go with the first roll. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/modhello.gif

I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself, as it were. So, in case, I always carry a revolver about with me. - Epikhodov
-
And perhaps we are funny. But you must never imagine, that just because something is funny, Monsieur le Marquis, it is not dangerous. - Mr. Croup
-
I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept. - Monsieur le Marquis
-
There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation!... A human being cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away. - Agatha Christie
Giovane D'Honore
Awards: None
Rep: none  
B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 15 2015, 03:50 PM
The first time I played scum it was myself and two people who had never played scum before.

We won flawless victory. So while I can understand the whole "newbie's getting tutored by pros" that is just not necessarily how things will pan out.

Random should be pure random.
Monsieur
Group Icon
Awards: 31

B: 10-9
G: 36-21
I: 3-6
O: 10-12
TB: 2-1
TG: 3-7
  Posted Sep 15 2015, 04:16 PM
QUOTE (lulz @ Sep 15 2015, 08:50 PM)
The first time I played scum it was myself and two people who had never played scum before.

We won flawless victory.  So while I can understand the whole "newbie's getting tutored by pros" that is just not necessarily how things will pan out.

Random should be pure random.

I see; interesting. One problem is if the whole team is full of newbies, there is a risk that they are inactive and the whole team will be needed to be replaced, since newbies are usually the ones we replace in games. Nothing is more awesome than an active newbie!

I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself, as it were. So, in case, I always carry a revolver about with me. - Epikhodov
-
And perhaps we are funny. But you must never imagine, that just because something is funny, Monsieur le Marquis, it is not dangerous. - Mr. Croup
-
I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept. - Monsieur le Marquis
-
There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation!... A human being cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away. - Agatha Christie
Jay
Group Icon
Awards: 20

B: 9-12
G: 29-14
I: 2-5
O: 6-12
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 15 2015, 04:31 PM
Always have to re-roll to make sure Boq and Aura roll baddie. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/muhaha.gif

Just kidding. I go with the first roll. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/tongue.gif It actually irks me if I find out afterwards if a host has re-rolled a few times, just so certain people get certain roles. It's bad hosting etiquette when that's done...and yes, I led a lynch on the host that did it in the next game that he played (it wasn't here). A lot of the rest of the players agreed with me.

And, he flipped scum. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/haha.gif

This post has been edited by Jay Gold: Sep 15 2015, 04:32 PM
Contabile
Awards: None
B: 11/18
G: 35/56
I: 3/4
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 15 2015, 09:38 PM
I don't think there is any good reason to not do rng every time.

Banjomeister
Awards: 4

B: 4-4
G: 11-11
I: 0-2
O: 0-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 6 2015, 01:59 PM
Well, from my experiences in hosting I prefer to roll once if at all possible. For no other reason than the fact that I don't want to have to put the thought into role randomization. I would much rather spend the time on balancing the roles and enjoying the story.

Inactivity is a reason for having replacements. However, if the game is screwed enough by the inactivity of a subset of people I have no qualms about starting over. I don't really want to interrupt the creative process while setting up a game to think that hard about people being in particular roles.

The only exception that I can think of is when I ran a particular mafia close after another one I was in. The rosters were similar and the baddie list was going to contain EXACTLY the same people that the last one had. I will roll again, but I draw the line at hand-picking roles...myself http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/rofl.gif

I can't say that I would have an issue with hand-picking roles. I'm not sure, but I think that a good host would want the game to be interesting and favoritism toward one side or another would severely limit the interesting factor of a game. Where is the fun in that? As a host I found that I enjoyed myself IMMENSELY more when a player stands out from the crowd, rather than having a group predestined to win.

Rock...Paper...Scissors...BANJO!

I win user posted image

QUOTE (_aura @ Oct 18 2015, 05:41 AM)

"Do you, Aura, want to spend the rest of your life saying 'Holy s***, SaaB!'?"

" *srs face* Yes. Yes, I do. user posted image "

"You may now twist Aura's words"
\\_THE_DERAILER!_//
Awards: 33

B: 13-14
G: 26-21
I: 4-5
O: 12-13
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 6 2015, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I 100% disagree with hand picking every/most roles. But I do think occasionally 1 or 2 need to be adjusted. Let's take okosan back when he was getting the save role all the time and got sick of it. Imo "sorry man... random.org said so" is a shithouse reason to ruin his enjoyment and activity level when.literally anyone else would be happy as save. After all, the game is designed to be enjoyable not torture.

Re favouritism, that's obviously a bad reason to reroll. And re an OPed faction, that's actually a good reason to shuffle away from not into.

Not that I'm advocating any of this but just discussing the ins and outs of it. In.the end, as long as it is fair and nobody can second guess the roles, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Agh! My brain hurts! I think I'm going to need some glasses, a moustache and a handkerchief"
- sparrowhawk

“It’s only on the brink that people find the will to change.
Only at the precipice do we evolve.”

- John Cleese

"I wish I could go back in time and rant some more."
- Boq on Slick's Kitchen Mafia
Banjomeister
Awards: 4

B: 4-4
G: 11-11
I: 0-2
O: 0-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 6 2015, 09:14 PM
I definitely don't disagree. Like I said, my only reason for not wanting to do all that is not wanting to shift effort away from other aspects of the game (read: laziness http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/lmao.gif )

However, in a situation like that I would probably be more likely to just random again rather than hand-shift. That may be due to my own laziness or possibly due to the fear in my mind that I am screwing with the balance unintentionally http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/balance.gif
who knows http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/shrug.gif

Either way, I don't think there is anything *ethically* wrong with switching a few players around in the role list so long as you are actually out there to increase the enjoyment of the players at large rather than just one or two at the expense of the rest (which I find unlikely in the group of people I know/knew here http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/shifty.gif ).

But hey, that's my opinion...and I have been out of the game for WAY too long to make any argument that mine is the right one http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/tongue.gif http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/rofl.gif

Rock...Paper...Scissors...BANJO!

I win user posted image

QUOTE (_aura @ Oct 18 2015, 05:41 AM)

"Do you, Aura, want to spend the rest of your life saying 'Holy s***, SaaB!'?"

" *srs face* Yes. Yes, I do. user posted image "

"You may now twist Aura's words"
I'm still a G
Group Icon
Awards: 6

B: 7-7
G: 22-18
I: 0-3
O: 5-10
TB: N/A
TG: N/A
  Posted Oct 14 2015, 06:07 PM
I admit that I have switched roles on occasion, though most of the time I let the chips fall where they may so to speak. I remember specifically talking with araver about Glitch II and SH being our secret faction because he was such a big target, but we decided to keep him. I've done that most times though I feel like in certain situations I switched things, not as much for balance and fairness but more for intrigue of seeing someone in a certain situation. I can't recall any specific instances but I have looked at it and decided...let's switch these two just because. I look at who gets what role very seriously because I want there to be fairness but also balance, whether it is in the teams themselves or balanced because I'm the host and I can make it balanced with my calls.

Temp Admin (again)
Group Icon
Awards: 5

B: 2-3
G: 6-4
I: 0-1
O: 0-2
TB:
TG:
  Posted Oct 31 2015, 10:52 PM
Just to let you know -GMaster479 I didn't change a darn thing for HM VII

Contabile
Awards: 1

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 4 2016, 06:21 PM
QUOTE (_Auramyna @ May 7 2015, 09:30 PM)
The Ethics of Mafia - Role Randomization

I'm just interested to know if hosts have ever not fully randomized the role list.  It is kind of a taboo question but an interesting issue. There are PROs and CONs on both sides.

This is just a cursory list and I can add to it later if people discuss this.

Reasons to randomize fully
It is fair to everyone.
Nobody can guess what role you might have been given.
No metagaming what the host would have done or defending yourself based on that.
No favoritism.
No host interference.

Reasons to swap a few roles
Nobody can guess what reasoning the host used.
People will be more satisfied with their role.
There is someone in a BTSC active enough to powerplay the actions.
To make an interesting baddie BTSC combo.
Barc is sick of being bad 5 times in a row. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/tongue.gif

Example Dilemmas to discuss:
1) In newbie mafia on BD, putting an experienced player with 2 newbies in baddie btsc helps them learn the game which is really the point. On the other hand, when me and anon26 were newish, we bonded for life from being baddies together.  It was a hell of a ride.  Many running jokes were set in motion. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/rofl.gif

2) Let's say in spymafia, player A is 99.99999999% going to spy player B, do you allow player B to be bad while Player A is sane/insane so baddies lose half their team immediately?  There are many other combos that would work if you randomize a 2nd time but is that interfering?

3) In 4-faction mafia, if an entire faction is probable inactives or low-activity, do you ensure there is someone to powerplay the actions?

4) If you know someone will be upset to get role x again, do you re-randomize?
This happened to me a few years back and the player was very unmotivated after getting that role and clearly did not enjoy the game. Was also semi-inactive.  (Obviously I hadn't re-randomized, not that he asked me to.)

Full disclosure: I will admit that on occasion I have skewed Slick into being goodie instead of baddie because he copes FAR better in a goodie role.  It occurs to me that he is always saying he is "almost always good" so are other hosts doing this, too, or does he just happen to get the faction he plays best in? http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/unsure.gif This data shows Slick is clearly good a higher percentage of the time vs anyone else (except Coolkid http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/XD.gif ). Data sample is random, choosing people who have been playing for a while:

MM results from wiki, excluding indy/other factions, in order of # of times baddie.
Aura - 28 bad vs 48 good
Nana - 18 bad vs 28 good
Slick - 17 bad vs 76 good
Marth - 14 bad vs 41 good
Jay - 13 bad vs 20 good
Bb - 12 bad vs 28 good
Coolkid - 0 bad vs 8 good. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/stop.gif This does not help my case!

Interested to hear opinions on the dilemmas or you can anonymously vote above.

Well, speaking as someone that the RNG hates when I'm behind the wheel (seriously, it's been known to be really Mmmm with me. Like, I've had it put all 5 of our mafia gods into the mafia, try to give nine people in a row the same role in a game with over 30 roles, things like that) I think that RNG is good, as long as balance is maintained post RNG.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Mafia Discussion | Next Newest »

Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll