Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

GMaster479
Current Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Add Reply
New Poll

Ghosts posts, popcorn and such
Consigliere
Group Icon
Awards: 3

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 26 2010, 07:39 PM
Do you guys think that it would be wise to instill a rule about ghost posts? I recall there once being a rule, way back in the beginning of time on BD, where only one ghost post was allowed. It sparked creativity and avoided a lot of confusion. There's been too much discussion, and even possible hints being dropped that I've noticed lately, coming from ghosts. I don't think I'm alone. Also, sometimes people have meaningless ghost posts and get scolded by others. If we had a "one ghost post" rule, it would solve all of those issues. Perhaps EDM's afterlife idea could then be implemented...Or people will just have to bite their tongues and bide their time.

What do you think?

Insert something witty here [______________].
Lord of Combat, God of Sarcasm
Group Icon
Awards: 14

B: 5-10
G: 15-22
I: 6-7
O: 8-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 26 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm all for NO ghost posts. I have an afterlife thread set up for Serenity. It's relatively active. And it wasn't EDM's idea. It was Blablah's over on BD. But, yeah... That's why I set up the afterlife, so there wouldn't be any ghost posts...

Beware the Scotch of Clumsiness!!!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through passion, I gain strength
Through strength, I gain power
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
Fox
Mafiosa Queen
Awards: 2

B: 11-5
G: 19-21
I: 0 - 2
O: 2 - 3
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 26 2010, 08:24 PM
I'm a fan of the one ghost post rule, where you say something creative but yet not hint revealing, and then die.

However, I never died in Serenity so I don't know what the ghost forum was like. Was it worth doing again?

I am NOT a baddie...sometimes...

-Kat-
Consigliere
Group Icon

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 26 2010, 09:14 PM
I liked the one ghost post rule as well. I even got complimented once on my ghost post.

I don't know what the ghost forum was like either, but it seems like a great idea. Can it be made temporarily public?

Explosive!
Awards: 5

B: 3-2
G: 4-8
I: 0-1
O: 2-1
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 26 2010, 09:26 PM
my only real concern with ghost posts is when people post for no reason as ghosts. That's been happening more and more. I'm not saying I'm completely innocent but I'm usually trying to answer a question someone asked that doesn't have to do with roles or strategy.

There have been some with 10+ ghost posts in recent mafias which is uneccessary.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." - Mary Anne Radmacher.
Temp Admin (again)
Group Icon

B: 2-3
G: 6-4
I: 0-1
O: 0-2
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 26 2010, 09:43 PM
Yeah we need to go back to the one and done rule with ghost posts. I think the Ghost Thread worked well this game and I will probably keep it so long as the hosts want to use it

Consigliere
Group Icon

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 27 2010, 11:42 AM
QUOTE (Glycereine @ Sep 26 2010, 09:26 PM)
my only real concern with ghost posts is when people post for no reason as ghosts. That's been happening more and more. I'm not saying I'm completely innocent but I'm usually trying to answer a question someone asked that doesn't have to do with roles or strategy.

There have been some with 10+ ghost posts in recent mafias which is uneccessary.

Glyc...It just helps to avoid confusion about who is alive and who is dead. I didn't think there was anything wrong with your ghost post that last time, but other people don't always exercise restraint and give things away that they shouldn't.

Cassandra
Awards: 10

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 27 2010, 12:07 PM
I generally post purposely misleading information in my ghost posts. If I'm a baddie who dies without a role reveal, I'll still tend to say "Good luck Goodies!" just to provide no useful information about my role. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3206/post598012563907920062.gif I guess that in some cases, even something like that could be too much information. I do agree that some people tend to post as a ghost far beyond what they should.

For the most part, I ignore posts by ghosts because they really shouldn't be contributing (unless that somehow works in the game underway http://a.imageshack.us/img42/4301/wackov.gif ) and the reliability of the information doesn't increase just because the player is dead. http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8072/whistlingm.gif

At the very least, grayed out colors are useful for differentiating. You could even designate one color as "Ghostly Gr[a|e]y," though the onus would still be on the players to actually post in the color.

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
Not Maurice
Awards: 10

B: 6-6
G: 14-8
I: 2-5
O: 7-0
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 29 2010, 07:24 AM
I generally post "I told you so" comments after I get goodie lynched.

Or "Aw crap..." posts if I get killed at night. Generally, if I'm a baddie who gets lynched, my vent post goes in the BTSC...

I should append my PGP public key here...
Consigliere
Group Icon

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 29 2010, 08:07 AM
@GM: Can you have hosts (starting w/LH) give a little blurb in their mafias that only one uninformative ghost post will be allowed per game, written in gray, or they will face the wrath of the multitudes?

Cavaliere
Group Icon

B: 3-4
G: 8-14
I: 0-8
O: 2-2
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 30 2010, 11:02 PM
I think we either need to decide what exactly can be included in a ghost post, or just prohibit them.

Fringe Mafia:War of the Worlds
OP; N1; D1; N2; D2; N3; Final Post
Head hurt yet?
Group Icon

B: 2-4
G: 9-9
I: 0-4
O: 2-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Sep 30 2010, 11:22 PM
Quite a while back I had an idea about ghosts and the afterlife of the mafia variety

I had it posted on another site but it seems to have been deleted

You could use ghosts to balance the game (mid game) by not allowing them any more information about who was playing but get them to vote about who is going to act for a given night. Each ghost will still win with the faction they died with.

If there is many baddie ghosts then it is likely that a baddie ghost will be elected to act at night thus helping the baddies and making sure that a game is not too one sided. Only one ghost would be able to act on the living that night so the level of influence they have over the actual game would be slight.

Each ghost would have a different abilities saving / blocking / spying each other or the living

I have had quite sometime to consider this idea so I have more up my sleeve...

In this case there would be no ghost posts as the game continues after death

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Mafia Discussion | Next Newest »

Add Reply
New Poll