Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

Nana7
Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Add Reply
New Poll

Spy-less games?
Contabile
Awards: None
B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 19 2015, 07:17 PM
I was wondering about games in which there are no spies - or at the very least no role spies. Is this at all doable? It seems that it would encourage a lot more conversation in the thread, but would also necessitate kills being evenly distributed. How about spy-less faction games (with BTSC for each faction? The fact that Coolkid's Grand Magic Battle also had a spy for each faction makes me think that no spies in the game alters how the game is played rather drastically. Any chance I can get some input?

TIA
An enigma wrapped inside a mystery
Awards: 13

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 19 2015, 10:47 PM
Slick's Kitchen Mafia 2 was a faction game with no spies.

In Grand Magic Games Battle the roles and abilities were designed with the general game dynamic in mind, the leader was given the specific choice between attacking or spying, that is, attempting to gain points and gaining information http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/hm.gif

There most likely have been games with no role spies, albeit none come immediately to mind, or games with roles spies but it was not known which roles were good or bad. I see no inherent problem with having no role spies http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/shrug.gif Most mafia-style games have a good deal of conversation already and I do not believe it would effect the game too much in that regard.

I do not really quite understand the "would also necessitate kills being evenly distributed" part. If you mean the baddies would not try to kill the role spy first and foremost, it would only remove a role from the ladder rather than flatten it. Baddies would still want some roles dead more than others, such as kills, saves, and whatnot. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/shrug.gif

"You are but a simpleton, aren't you? user posted image" - Aura

"Is everyone around to flashvote?
Let's do this!!!!
Kill coolkid!!!
" - Plasmid

"I believe ck is a nice person. I also believe he was voted into a btsc and half that btsc is now dead." - Yuiop

"Well who asks more questions, gets closer to victory" -Alexey
"This is why we are killing CK" -GM

"s*** it is so goddamn scary to talk with CK." - Boq
Contabile
B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 19 2015, 10:58 PM
No, I meant more along the lines that if the goodies can not be as informed as they are if there were to have access to a spy, I would think it might necessitate a more aggressive play style from the goodies to make sure they don't just get picked off one by one, and as such, (at least) as many killing roles as the baddies. Thanks for the input, as well as for the mention of Slick's Kitchen Mafia - will definitely have to take a look at that one then. =)
lolcat
Awards: 17

B: 2-4
G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Feb 19 2015, 11:06 PM
Homestuck mafia didn't have any spies, and the goodies got demolished. And Frozen Mafia I had the goodie spy killed N1 with no other spy roles left but the goodies won. So it can be done. There are a lot of factors to take into account in game design and being without spies might make it tougher to estimate how balanced a game is since it's unusual, but if you really wanted to design a game without spies you could certainly put one together for people to look over and give input.

This post has been edited by _plasmid: Feb 19 2015, 11:07 PM
An enigma wrapped inside a mystery
Awards: 13

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 19 2015, 11:20 PM
I see what you mean, Pardona http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/smile.gif Double Agent Mafia had a similar dynamic to that which you mention albeit having the opposite design http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/lol.gif

In DAM, every player's role was known, with two of each role, however which players were bad and which good was not known. The goodie spy was killied n1 leaving only a baddie spy and hence the goodies with no credible information. It was very difficult, particularly in the beginning, and certainly did feel as we were "getting picked off one by one" until the baddies made a move that was suspicious enough for one of them to be lynched. However, I do not believe the play-style was notably more or less aggressive than in any other mafia game. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/shrug.gif

"You are but a simpleton, aren't you? user posted image" - Aura

"Is everyone around to flashvote?
Let's do this!!!!
Kill coolkid!!!
" - Plasmid

"I believe ck is a nice person. I also believe he was voted into a btsc and half that btsc is now dead." - Yuiop

"Well who asks more questions, gets closer to victory" -Alexey
"This is why we are killing CK" -GM

"s*** it is so goddamn scary to talk with CK." - Boq
Contabile
Awards: 1

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 4 2016, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (Pardona @ Feb 20 2015, 12:17 AM)
I was wondering about games in which there are no spies - or at the very least no role spies. Is this at all doable? It seems that it would encourage a lot more conversation in the thread, but would also necessitate kills being evenly distributed. How about spy-less faction games (with BTSC for each faction? The fact that Coolkid's Grand Magic Battle also had a spy for each faction makes me think that no spies in the game alters how the game is played rather drastically. Any chance I can get some input?

TIA

Unfamiliar with this sites version of spy. What is it?
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon
Awards: 18

B: 6-5
G: 5-6
I: 4-2
O: 5-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 4 2016, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (The_Machine_5000 @ Jun 4 2016, 05:23 PM)

TIA

One thing about this site is there is no one size fits all...we encourage customizeable games by hosts.

In general a spy is a role spy. I target Machine, I'm told he is Role X. But we also use action spies (ie Machine blocked someone, though this type is rare), target spies (ie Machine targeted mo), faction spies (Machine is baddie) and really anything the host can conjure up.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law
I always tell the truth, even when I lie - Tony Montana
What' chu talkin' about, Willis? - Arnold Jackson

The world is my oyster. It gave me diarrhetic shellfish poisoning.

MafiaManiac BROWNIE points
1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 10.darth nox-2 10.EDM-2 12.Laiam-1
Mod of member relations/awards/activity
Group Icon
B: 6-9
G: 11-10
I: 3-4
O: 4-5
TB: 1-1
TG:
  Posted Jun 5 2016, 02:10 AM
QUOTE (maurice @ Jun 5 2016, 08:06 AM)

TIA

One thing about this site is there is no one size fits all...we encourage customizeable games by hosts.

In general a spy is a role spy. I target Machine, I'm told he is Role X. But we also use action spies (ie Machine blocked someone, though this type is rare), target spies (ie Machine targeted mo), faction spies (Machine is baddie) and really anything the host can conjure up.

Who got spied; mo or machine? Spying machine's target would be a follow spy. Spying mo to see who targets him, well I reckon I've called that a target spy in my games. But I get the feeling target spy has been used for both of those types before.

QUOTE (araver @ Oct 1 2015, 08:41 AM)
I cannot believe ... ok.
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 5 2016, 02:20 AM
QUOTE (Aura_mod @ Jun 5 2016, 02:10 AM)

TIA

Who got spied; mo or machine? Spying machine's target would be a follow spy. Spying mo to see who targets him, well I reckon I've called that a target spy in my games. But I get the feeling target spy has been used for both of those types before.

Does my response even matter, since evidently I have no clue how to report such things
http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/scratch.gif

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law

1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 10.darth nox-2 10.EDM-2 12.Laiam-1
\\_THE_DERAILER!_//
Awards: 32

B: 13-14
G: 26-21
I: 4-5
O: 12-13
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 5 2016, 09:15 AM
QUOTE (maurice @ Jun 5 2016, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Aura_mod @ Jun 5 2016, 02:10 AM)

TIA

Does my response even matter, since evidently I have no clue how to report such things
http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/scratch.gif

http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/lmao.gif Yes, bc you are the emissary of old school MM. We have representatives from all generations, so please do assist us in closing the generation gap. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/thanks.gif

"Agh! My brain hurts! I think I'm going to need some glasses, a moustache and a handkerchief"
- sparrowhawk

“It’s only on the brink that people find the will to change.
Only at the precipice do we evolve.”

- John Cleese

"I wish I could go back in time and rant some more."
- Boq on Slick's Kitchen Mafia
Voted "Most Likely to Kill You with a Whopper"
Awards: 7

B: 2-12
G: 19-17-1
I: 3-3
O: 8-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 5 2016, 09:21 AM
I thought Target Spy was who the person you spied acted on and Follow Spy was who acted on the person you spied? Or am I just a very confused little host?

Killing in style since 2012.
THE Burger King. Always remember.
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 5 2016, 09:58 AM
QUOTE (Vommack @ Jun 5 2016, 09:21 AM)
I thought Target Spy was who the person you spied acted on and Follow Spy was who acted on the person you spied? Or am I just a very confused little host?

You are correct. I couldn't recall the term "follow" for some reason, and knew there was at least a 4th type. But I combined two types http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/ashamed.gif

\\_THE_DERAILER!_//
Awards: 32

B: 13-14
G: 26-21
I: 4-5
O: 12-13
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jun 5 2016, 07:16 PM
QUOTE (maurice @ Jun 6 2016, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (Vommack @ Jun 5 2016, 09:21 AM)

You are correct. I couldn't recall the term "follow" for some reason, and knew there was at least a 4th type. But I combined two types http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/ashamed.gif

Nah, mo. I think you misread cos you know the answer to this one. http://mafiamaniac.org/smile/yes.gif

Vommack - If Jay follow spies ... FOR EXAMPLE... Nana, then he sees who nana acted on. If I was to target spy nana, I'd see Jay acting on her.

"Agh! My brain hurts! I think I'm going to need some glasses, a moustache and a handkerchief"
- sparrowhawk

“It’s only on the brink that people find the will to change.
Only at the precipice do we evolve.”

- John Cleese

"I wish I could go back in time and rant some more."
- Boq on Slick's Kitchen Mafia
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Mafia Discussion | Next Newest »

Add Reply
New Poll