Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

GMaster479
Current Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Mafia Check List
Consigliere
Group Icon
Awards: 3

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 24 2011, 01:10 PM
I think we need some sort of a check list that each host must complete, prior to the beginning of a game. Maybe "Game FAQs" is a more appropriate title. It may help clear up threads and eliminate some confusion or unnecessary last minute questions. i.e.:

1. Stating what happens in case of a tied lynch.
2. Regarding araver's discussion on spies and redirects, we could take SH's idea of having hosts clarify how these will work.
3. Precedence of actions.

The list could be updated in the op as questions are asked.

I also think that we need to make it a rule that hosts have keep updated links to night and day posts.

Thoughts?

Insert something witty here [______________].
Lord of Combat, God of Sarcasm
Group Icon
Awards: 14

B: 5-10
G: 15-22
I: 6-7
O: 8-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 24 2011, 01:22 PM
I think this is a good idea. It should be posted in the OP after the roles. And as far as the post links, I obviously think this is a great idea (see Finished Games and what the OPs now look like.) I also think after the conclusion of the game, a final roster should be posted in the OP detailing winner, faction, time and cause of death (also see Finished Games.)

Beware the Scotch of Clumsiness!!!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through passion, I gain strength
Through strength, I gain power
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
Not Maurice
Awards: 10

B: 6-6
G: 14-8
I: 2-5
O: 7-0
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 24 2011, 03:37 PM
Intro:

------
Roles
Baddies - BTSC

Goodies

Indy

-------
Order of Actions:.....
In the event of a tie lynch, .....
Nights and days will end at .....

I should append my PGP public key here...
... back
Group Icon
Awards: 7 (6 displayed)

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 24 2011, 03:42 PM
... and all Q&A from signups, in spoilers if it's too long. A lot of hosts forget those.

And just a thought: here on MM, current hosts have the power to edit posts and keep the OP neat and clean the thread if they want. However on BD, only VIP's can edit their own threads. So this list would mostly impact MM hosts more than BD hosts.
... back
Group Icon
Awards: 7 (6 displayed)

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 26 2011, 02:18 PM
I think we need a separate long discussion on the order/precedence of actions. We seem to interpret things differently and as a group effort, I think we can come up with 2-3 different ways to see what each host understands by "precedence" and "order" (without resorting to mathematical concepts).

Maybe find some unified way to describe:
- whether "Kill > Block" means "killing someone prevents him to do his action". Or not.
- whether the is a priority-based sequence of the actions (implied by the words "precedence" and "order") or actions just happen in a random order and these rules only come into play when two actions form a chain X targets Y who targets Z.

etc
Lord of Combat, God of Sarcasm
Group Icon
Awards: 14

B: 5-10
G: 15-22
I: 6-7
O: 8-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 26 2011, 02:32 PM
Agreed. If you start one about order of actions, I'll weigh in!

Beware the Scotch of Clumsiness!!!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through passion, I gain strength
Through strength, I gain power
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
Temp Admin (again)
Group Icon
Awards: 5

B: 2-3
G: 6-4
I: 0-1
O: 0-2
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 26 2011, 02:32 PM
I agree. The confusion between order and precedence needs to be addressed. Might need to write up a few definitions to add to UR's guide

Not Maurice

B: 6-6
G: 14-8
I: 2-5
O: 7-0
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 26 2011, 02:38 PM
I started the topic.

I should append my PGP public key here...
shrugged
Group Icon
Awards: 25

B: 14-12
G: 28-24
I: 3-4
O: 7-15
TB: Nope
TG: Nope
  Posted Feb 6 2011, 02:56 PM
Reopening this "Checklist" discussion since it did not actually finish with a checklist laugh.gif

I have added some MM/BD specific instructions in the Guide a while ago: http://forum.mafiamaniac.net/index.php?showtopic=13 (chapter VII mostly).
Yet, none of those instructions specifically target what the OP should like. And some of the things that have been said here are a big hassle for some hosts (e.g. putting links to the nights and days in the signature).

So, if we do manage to find a checklist, I can add it to the Guide to Mafia, but not a very long list, since the guide is already very close to the maximum character limit.

... A red bird of my desire came and sat upon my shoulder, and I wrote a note and tied it to its leg and sent it off into the west. It said, "I'll be back," and it was signed by me.
... I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.
... *shrug* Good-bye and hello, as always.

Spoiler for The three laws of the ol' faithful goodie killer

user posted image
Cassandra

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 6 2011, 04:56 PM
If you really needed more space, could you split the chapters into separate posts?

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Feb 6 2011, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (sparrowhawk @ Feb 6 2011, 10:56 PM)
If you really needed more space, could you split the chapters into separate posts?

Yeah, that's what we did with History of Mafia for the same reason... problem is, people don't really read the guide as it is http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/images/smilies/001_rolleyes.gif

http://www.racunalniske-novice.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/SmileyHmm.gif thinking we can actually make two guides (by splitting the chapters):
(A) Newbie's Guide for Mafia Players
(B) Newbie's Guide for Mafia Hosts

The second guide could then cover Chapter 7 of the current guide + the checklist + the order vs precedence of actions in depth.
Definitely worth a shot.

... A red bird of my desire came and sat upon my shoulder, and I wrote a note and tied it to its leg and sent it off into the west. It said, "I'll be back," and it was signed by me.
... I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.

user posted image
ytilaernu
Group Icon
Awards: 2

B:
G:
I:
O:
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 6 2011, 05:18 PM
I would be down for a project to rewrite the guide to be much more succinct
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Feb 6 2011, 05:41 PM
OK, I moved the guide to a separate category Mafia Guides.

Unreality, you should now have moderator rights on posts in that forum. I've made a backup of the guide as it is now (1.7) so feel free to modify it / split it, etc.

I would still like to add the part regarding MM/BD hosting as a separate guide for Hosts (of which some but not all is covered in chapter VII):
- information that future hosts should read (coming up with an idea / looking it it has been done already/ posting it for feedback / balance and other issues to look for, etc.)
- information specific to MM or BB for hosts to read - including a checklist for the OP, etc.
shrugged
Group Icon

Posted Feb 8 2011, 11:28 AM
I've added the Guide to Mafia Hosting

There's still a lot to add/rewrite (chapters II and III), but for now a Checklist has been added.

Also, the discussion about order/precedence of actions needs to end with some clear material to be added in chapter III.

user posted image
Cassandra

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Feb 25 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure if this ought to have its own topic, but it's related to the checklist so I'll put it here for now. unsure.gif

It seems that a lot of games lately have been coming down to coin flips in lynch votes. I guess that means that the games are pretty balanced, but I feel like it can also sort of cheapen the deal. People should be winning outright and not depending on the flip of a coin.

I'm not sure of the best solution, but one thing that Brandonb did in the Marvel games was state that all tied players would be killed. I'm not sure how that would change things, but maybe that would break some of these ties.

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Mafia Discussion | Next Newest »

Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll