Welcome to MafiaManiac, a site is dedicated to the growth and expansion of the online forum game of Mafia.

Mafia is that party game you may have played, where there is a mafia (informed minority) trying to overtake an entire village and the villagers (uninformed Majority) are trying to stop them. We play these mafia games over several days in our forum and we have people from all over the world playing them. These mafia games can be themed from movies, real life situations and almost anything you can think of! Mafia involves a lot of creative strategy, making you think on your toes. You'll be forced trust your gut, check your logic, and deceive or be deceived. If you think you can handle playing, here are a few links you should definitely check out.

- Unreality's Official Guide to Mafia
- Site Rules
- Our Wiki

Also registering and replying to my welcome message with how you found this site without me asking you to will get you 2 rep points, which is very helpful later on.

Thank you for visiting our site and please Register

Regards,

Nana7
Admin of MafiaManiac
GAME NEWS  BOARD TIME:  
Recent Topic Activity
Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

GAME IDEAS

When you feel your game idea is fully ready to be played, please START A NEW TOPIC in Games Ready with the final RIDs, rules, FAQ and prologue if applicable. Thanks, MafiaManiac Staff

Add Reply
New Poll

The Wire: Season 2, A New Case Begins
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon
Awards: 18

B: 6-5
G: 5-6
I: 4-2
O: 5-5
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 17 2017, 01:49 AM
This is early in the thought process. But Once I get past this hurdle I expect there to be a quick resolution.

One difference from Season 1 is that there will not be two separate BTSCs for the baddies where the Cops can intercept messages back and forth. Instead the Cops will be able to listen in somehow to the BTSC. I will either set up BTSC with greek accounts and grant the cops access, or I will copy and paste certain posts. Now it will be like last time where it will be during a certain time or a certain percentage.

The set-up will have 16 players. I am set on that. They will be:

Avon Barksdale
Stringer Bell
Bodie Broadus

Lt. Daniels
McNulty
Bunk Moreland
Herc
Carver
Kima
Lester
Beadie Russell
Bubbles

Frank Sobotka
Ziggy Sobotka

The Greek

Omar

The reason Frank and Ziggy are in a slightly different color is because I havent ecided if I want this to be 11-3-1-1 with those two able to be recruited over to the Greek's faction, or just start off 9-3-3-1 with two baddie factions.

I am looking for suggestions. I am willing to add/subtract/move roles for balancing purposes. But this effectively 9-3-3-1 set up is my preferred set-up if its manageable. I was thinking of giving the two baddie factions a kill, but one that is 50/50 and not announce in the OP who killed who.

Again, very preliminary...and I'm a sponge.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law
I always tell the truth, even when I lie - Tony Montana
What' chu talkin' about, Willis? - Arnold Jackson

The world is my oyster. It gave me diarrhetic shellfish poisoning.

MafiaManiac BROWNIE points
1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 10.darth nox-2 10.EDM-2 12.Laiam-1
lolcat
Awards: 17

B: 2-4
G: 12-5
I: 2-3
O: 6-12
TB:
TG: 2-0
  Posted Jan 21 2017, 12:27 AM
I remember doing something like this in the Kamikaze Thief Secret Wizard Lolcat Mafias. There was an ability for a goodie to ODTG spy the baddie BTSC, and the baddies used anonymous "Baddie1", "Baddie2", and "Baddie3" accounts and in one game there was the anonymous "GoodieSpy" account that got to read baddie BTSC (this was before Greek letter accounts). For what it's worth, I decided to quit doing that because I thought that preventing the baddies from being able to effectively conspire led to less interesting strategization... BTSC ended up essentially being complete BSery to wifom the spy instead of meaningful plotting.

Will there be a single BTSC both baddie factions? If so, what are the wincons? If the baddie factions need to kill each other, shared BTSC could be a liability. If they don't need to kill each other, would it be any different from having a single baddie faction?

This post has been edited by plasmid: Jan 21 2017, 12:28 AM
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 21 2017, 12:31 AM
QUOTE (plasmid @ Jan 20 2017, 11:27 PM)
I remember doing something like this in the Kamikaze Thief Secret Wizard Lolcat Mafias. There was an ability for a goodie to ODTG spy the baddie BTSC, and the baddies used anonymous "Baddie1", "Baddie2", and "Baddie3" accounts and in one game there was the anonymous "GoodieSpy" account that got to read baddie BTSC (this was before Greek letter accounts). For what it's worth, I decided to quit doing that because I thought that preventing the baddies from being able to effectively conspire led to less interesting strategization... BTSC ended up essentially being complete BSery to wifom the spy instead of meaningful plotting.

Will there be a single BTSC both baddie factions? If so, what are the wincons? If the baddie factions need to kill each other, shared BTSC could be a liability. If they don't need to kill each other, would it be any different from having a single baddie faction?

I'm writing up my set-up right now. 2 separate btscs/wincons. I will include some aspect of BTSC spying to stay true to the show, but much like the first one it will not be so dominant as to severely alter the gameplay...more something to be aware of.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice - Clarke's Law

1.Shadow-11 2.Framm-6 2.Q-cumber-6 4.Yuli-5 5.araver-4 5.Anon-4 7.Nana-3 7.dee-3 7.Emberguard-3 10.darth nox-2 10.EDM-2 12.Laiam-1
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 21 2017, 05:50 AM

THE WIRE MAFIA: SEASON 2
A New Case Begins

PROLOGUE:
"Ain't never gonna be what it was." – Little Big Roy

As punishment for the trouble he caused in Season One, Detective Jimmy McNulty had been assigned to the one unit he didn't want to have, the marine unit. Besides constantly having to deal with motion sickness, McNulty found the job quite mundane. That is until the bodies of thirteen young ladies are found in a container on the dockyards.

Police Major Stan Valchek used this is an excuse to investigate the leader of the dockers' union, whom he has a rivalry with. This rivalry sometimes clouded his judgement. He assigned a detail to investigate the docks. The detail included some of the same participants of the detail that investigated the Towers.

Detective Kima Greggs had been on desk duty since recovering from being shot and was eager to be back on the streets. She was aided by Thomas “Herc” Hauk and Ellis Carver, two long time partners who weren't always the most focused. Luckily, she was also joined on the detail by Lester Freamon, a brilliant but somewhat eccentric “natural police”. His affinity to making and collecting dollhouse furniture made people underestimate him. While his work was slow and methodical, it was also extremely efficient.

Kima also had ties to a street informer and drug addict, Bubbles. Bubbles tried to stay clean, but struggled toward that end. He was a valuable asset to have, however, as he knew the streets of Baltimore and all of its comings and goings. Included in those streets was the thief who ran the night, Omar. Omar owned the streets and took what he needed to get by. Very rarely did his victim resist, and when they did, it did not end well for them.

The Towers, though, still belonged to the Barksdale crew and they based their drug dealing business out of the housing complex. True, the leader Avon Barksdale was serving a few months for the little the state of Maryland could pin on him, but his second in command, Stringer Bell was quite adept at running things, and was getting better. And he was grooming Bodie Broadus to be able to handle the streets.

Though cut from two very different cloths, Bunk Moreland admired McNulty and considered him a friend. The homicide detective understood his pal through all of their deficiencies; as police and as people. He visited McNulty at the docks one day and saw him talking it up with Port Police Officer "Beadie" Russell. Bunk decided to interfere with his buddy's conquest attempt and introduced himself to Beadie.

Beadie explained that she knew the docks inside and out. She knew that Frank Sobotka ran the dockers' union. His nephew Ziggy Sobotka tried to get in good with the union, but he was not dependable. The union used their position for some illegal activities, but they were always careful and not too greedy. Ziggy was always trying to get a little extra.
Beadie didn't know about the man behind the scenes, the person who made Frank worry most about his nephew. From his little booth in the nearby Cafe, The Greek controlled all activity, legal and extra-legal, that ran through the docks.

With the discovery of the bodies, Frank knew things would have to slow down. There would be extra scrutiny on the docks. As his right-hand man, Little Big Roy, expressed to him, "Ain't never gonna be what it was."

ROLE DESCRIPTIONS:

Goodies: The Police. WinCon - Get rid of all Baddies

Major Valchek: Let's personal feelings cloud his judgement. If he is voting for Stringer or Frank, it will count x3. However, if he is voting for a Police it will be redirected onto himself. Cannot die Night 1. Once per game, may prevent a lynching.

McNulty: Each player may submit to the host via pm each night a 50 word/smiley "will". If McNulty selects a player who dies at night, he will discover their will and it will be revealed. In addition, any one night he may choose to submit up to 3 RID Kills. If each submission is correct they will go through. If one or more all wrong, they will fail. McNulty will also die.

Bunk: During the Day submits a player name to be trapped each night in jail. Has secret BTSC. Trapped player loses any other BTSC. The trap acts as a block. Bunk may decide to kill the target. He may also decide to trap the player for the day, making them silent and unlynchable for the lynch vote. Any other BTSC will not be returned until after the day. The kill and Day trap are subject to Bunk being blocked

Beadie: Can choose to see who a player targetted or who targetted that player.

Bubbles: Spies a player each night. The role is given to Kima if alive. If not, to Bubbles.

Lester (Detail): Each night, can ask the host up to 3 Yes/No questions. Will get an answer so long as the previous response was "Yes". {Eg. Q1 - Yes Q2 - No Q3 - unanswered}

Kima (Detail): Chooses a player each night. That person can not be acted on, except for kill. However, each night Kima can go into Bodyguard mode. Any player acting on the target, including Kima, will die.

Herc: Block. Has BTSC with Carver

Carver: Save. Has BTSC with Herc

Each member of the detail can instead twice choose to trade their night action for a chance to listen in on a baddie BTSC. They will choose which location, a 6 hour window from that night or the next day, and a number from 1-5. If the number matches the "channel" the baddies have chosen, they will receive a transcript of the BTSC. If incorrect, they will receive random text. Baddies will be given Greek accounts they may use.

Baddies: The Barksdale Crew. WinCon - Be the majority. They have a shared Night Kill with the Dockers Union. If each faction submits a kill the kill will only go through if they match. If only one faction submits a kill, then it will go through. Each night they may instead choose to trade the NK for 2 RID Kills (both of which must be correct) or the NK for that night and the next for 1 RID Kill.

Avon: Vote redirect. If the target is the same as The Greek's, it will fail.Can't be killed by Baddie Night Kill

Stringer Bell: block. Can't be killed by Baddie Night Kill while Bodie is alive.

Bodie Broadus: Faction spy

Baddies: The Dockers Union. WinCon - Be the majority. They have a shared Night Kill with the Barksdale Crew. If each faction submits a kill the kill will only go through if they match. If only one faction submits a kill, then it will go through. Each night they may instead choose to trade the NK for 2 RID Kills (both of which must be correct) or the NK for that night and the next for 1 RID Kill.

The Greek: Vote redirect. If the target is the same as Avon's it will fail. Can't be killed by Baddie Night Kill

Frank: block. Can't be killed by Baddie Night Kill while Ziggy is alive

Ziggy: Faction spy

Indy
Omar Little: A renowned stick-up man who lives by a strict moral code and never deviates from his rules. WinCon is to kill vote for and see 2 of Ziggy, Bubbles or Broadie lynched. If WinCon becomes impossible, Omar must be the last one standing. Omar's primary wincon does not end game, but Omar leaves town for good. Omar chooses a player and a target each night. If the player acts on the target, Omar steals the player's vote. The player's vote will not count that Day, but they will get one back for the next day. Omar will permanently have an extra vote that they may use independently of their own if they choose. If they split their vote they must designate one as their own, as it is subject to vote redirect. Each night, but not twice in a row, they may leave town and be safe from any kill.

Critique away. I still have to tie up loose ends (as to not reveal roles) I believe. Also, I am not married to the Ziggy/Bodie action or even convinced they have to mirror each other. Did I make it too hard for baddies to kill? Should they each just get a straight NK?

Kills are not blocking. Tie vote, D1

lolcat

TB:
  Posted Jan 22 2017, 12:11 AM
Can baddies use their anonymous accounts on the main thread? If not, then making the NK go through only if both baddie factions pick the same target or one baddie faction abstains seems like a bit much. If one baddie faction uses RID kill(s) would that conflict with a straight NK attempt by the other baddie faction? What shows in the NP? What will show or be revealed to the baddies if the NK fails because both factions submitted an NK and they weren't on the same target? What will show if one of the baddies who're immune from baddie NK gets targeted by the baddie NK (especially if the goodie save is known to be dead)?

For Kima, would he prevent day actions (Major Valachek, baddie vote manips) from kicking in with his target? If the only baddie action he can prevent is the baddie blocks, and he could also prevent beneficial goodie actions like a save or McNulty's will reading or spying, then his ability might be detrimental enough that the player wouldn't want to use it. (Yes, I realize that I put an Elvis role in Screwball mafia.) And Kima pretty much automatically will die if he successfully uses the bodyguard ability?

Since the goodie wincon is "get rid of all the baddies" while the indy secondary wincon is "last standing", if the indy secondary wincon kicks in and all the baddies die, will a) the victorious goodies leave the game so the indy ends up being last standing for a joint win b) just goodies win c) goodies gotta get rid of the indy too d) none of the above? Similar question if a baddie faction gains majority while the indy is still around with the secondary wincon.

Can the indy repeatedly steal votes from the same player? Can he steal votes from Herc or Carver by naming the other as a BTSC mate or just the targets of their block and save?

If Valachek is voting for Stringer or Frank but gets redirected to a goodie (or vice versa), will his vote count x3 and/or be redirected to himself?

You're saying that there will definitely be a tie vote D1?

Do the baddies pick a new channel every night, or just once that they'll keep for the entire game? Also, I can think of a way (albeit an annoying way) of avoiding goodie spying...
Cassandra
Awards: 10

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 22 2017, 02:44 AM
In addition, any one night he may choose to submit up to 3 RID Kills. If each submission is correct they will go through. If one or more all wrong, they will fail. McNulty will also die.

Will McNulty die if the RIDs are wrong or after attempting the RIDs, regardless of the outcome?

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 22 2017, 02:51 AM
QUOTE (sparrowhawk @ Jan 22 2017, 01:44 AM)
In addition, any one night he may choose to submit up to 3 RID Kills. If each submission is correct they will go through. If one or more all wrong, they will fail. McNulty will also die.

Will McNulty die if the RIDs are wrong or after attempting the RIDs, regardless of the outcome?

Only if successful.

plasmid I'll look at your post a bit later but right now I'm pen to suggestions. I don't exist this to run as is

lolcat

TB:
  Posted Jan 22 2017, 11:04 AM
I guess I should post the thought I had for the baddies dealing with goodie wiretapping to help with brainstorming ways around it... this seems less like a legitimate strategy that I'd want to let the baddies do if they're clever enough to come up with it (which I wouldn't post in game ideas) and more like something that would break the spirit of the game if it were done.

If I were a baddie, I might post a link to an encryption site and a key to use to encrypt and decrypt BTSC posts, and say to wait six hours and then start posting meaningful things with that encryption. It would be easy to make a rule against linking to outside encryption sites, but making such a rule would just give people the idea of pulling a similar move of setting up codewords for player names and key words six hours before posting meaningful content to achieve a similar effect. The final actions would have to be posted in non-encrypted form, so if the baddies don't consider that from the outset then wiretapping a timeframe including the final actions could give away at least some of their code, but by N2 they should figure a way to construct a code to deal with that.

If you try to prevent the baddies from doing that by extending the wiretapping time to be the entire night phase instead of just six hours, then that just means they need to post a code during the preceding day phase. Or you might let the wiretapper see the entire BTSC, but that seems like more than you intended with this game setup. You could decide to take any posts that you as a host think are relevant to being able to decrypt messages and include them in the wiretap regardless of time frame... normally I try to avoid having the host do things like that because it can end up leading to thorny decisions, like what would you do if the baddies use a code where their roster positions or their previous night's action targets are an element used in the encryption?

A different way to approach the eavesdropping would be to tell the wiretapper how actions that normally don't appear in the NP have been used -- where the block, faction spy, previous day's vote manip, and NK/RID attempt were targeted. If the "noise" channels are meant to give potentially confusing wrong results, then it would be easy to random.org fake targets. But that might be too big of a departure from what you're going for.
Cassandra
Awards: 10

B: 12-9
G: 10-9
I: 4-7
O: 6-6
TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 23 2017, 12:00 AM
Personally, I really liked the way the "wire" worked in Season 1. It made for some interesting strategies when you know someone might be listening in. I know you want to bring something new this time around, but maybe you could keep the same general idea, but tweak it a bit somehow. The two baddie factions are going to be stepping on each others' toes with their shared actions. Maybe set a 2-way communication channel (I know they didn't communicate in the show) and allow that to be the channel that can be intercepted.

I realize it's part of your intention for the two baddie factions not to know each other and you do want them getting in the way of each other to some extent, but maybe something along these lines could work and solve some of the thornier issues plasmid brought up.

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.
--John Rodgers
The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Jan 23 2017, 12:12 AM
Actually sparrow I like that... It helps with two ideas, the "wire" aspect and variance the right amount of NKs.

I'm also considering a situation where the 3 faction leaders cab win with each other, so maybe I give the three of them that communication that can be intercepted.

Lemme let this stew

The Space Cowboy
Group Icon

TB:
TG:
  Posted Mar 29 2017, 10:43 AM
Still stewing but I'm about to post Robert DeNiro Mafia and am working on Mafia Noir III - Mafiosos in Paradise (j/k on title) and I don't want this to be forgotten.

So here's what I'm thinking. 3 btsc, one for each faction one that is shared. The shared btsc uses Greek accounts and can be intercepted. It is for the leaders who get replaced if they die, using the same Greek account.

Possibly will just have all baddies use Greeks and make either btsc intercepts let to some degree.

Also considering doing alternating NK or just give each h group a NK and more ways to stop it. If that's the case then the shared btsc goes away and I likely give all baddies a Greek account.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Game Ideas | Next Newest »

Add Reply
New Poll